View Single Post
Old 06-24-2000, 06:48 AM   #1
Sharkū
Hungry Ghoul

Sharkū has just left Hobbiton.
Ring A new kind of game (?)

<font face="Verdana"><table><TR><TD><FONT SIZE="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Spirit
</TD><TD></TD></TR></TABLE>
I promised I“d make one up, but this is all I achieved:
I call it &quot;Quotes that weren“t&quot;, which means one gives a quote which is not in one of JRRT“s books, but could easily be there, e.g. in situations where direct speech was certainly there, but is not reported to us.
The point about making them up is that there is at least one clear hint on the speaker and the circumstances. The advantage of this game would be that a solution can only be found through logical thinking.
And, a hint should always be provided what book this quote would be in, either Silmarillion, or TLOTR (or The Hobbit).

To make clear what I mean, I“ll give some examples:

&quot;I THOUGHT A ROSE WOULD FIT YOU WELL: I CARED MYSELF FOR ITS GROWTH; SO THAT IT WOULD ALMOST BE AS BEAUTIFUL AS YOU ARE...&quot; (LOTR)

The problem here is the level of style, but otherwise, one can find out that it is Sam talking to Rose Cotton:
a rose fits well, a hint on the adressed person“s name; a speaker who likes or reven loves the adressed person, and who could be a gardener.

&quot;FROM WHAT I HEAR FROM YOU, OLD FRIEND, THESE WERE TROUBLED TIMES INDEED; BUT THEY DIDN`T AFFECT ME, SAFE YOUR FRIENDS WHO PAID ME A NICE LITLLE VISIT!&quot; (LOTR)

This one can be made easier by adding a &quot;Ho! Ho!&quot; or &quot;Merry-dong-dillo&quot; or such: Tom Bombadil talking to Gandalf after the end of the war.

But now let“s go in medias res:

Who could have said, and to whom:
&quot;YOU ARE NOW MY GUEST. FOREVER! HAHAHA!&quot; (from The Silmarillion)
2 possible solutions.

</p>
Sharkū is offline   Reply With Quote