Thread: Evil things
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2004, 12:17 AM   #124
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
This thread, as the evil in Arda even after Morgoth's departure, lingers on

With regards to your question - the evil as focused in the person of Morgoth did diminish, but he's will (as it was already dispersed into all the matter of Arda) remained. It refocused itself in the person of Sauron, indeed. But it is not quite true to say that 'nothing changed'. For one, silmarili were regained, and though two were lost again, one still shines as the sign of hope. And the redemption of Exile Elves came to be, and Men were given the chance to reach the peak of their possible development (Numenor), and races of the Maiar, Elves and Men were united by blood through first two Unions and many things more.

All of this would not have happened if not for Morgoth. One of the stems of Tolkien's philosophy at work:

Quote:
And thou, Melkor, shalt see that no theme may be played that hath not its uttermost source in me, nor can any alter the music in my despite. For he that attempteth this shall prove but mine instrument in the devising of things more wonderful, which he himself hath not imagined.'

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote