View Single Post
Old 05-31-2002, 09:22 PM   #210
Laiedheliel
Haunting Spirit

Location: A roaming Middle-Earth wanderer in the guise of a Ranger
Laiedheliel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Laiedheliel
Sting

Hmm, I haven't been here for a while. Six pages, kudos to us!

Plot inconsistancies...hum, hoom, what a sad, evil topic to bring up in a nice thread like this one. Being as we're not competing, I have completely re-written the entire history of my world and had to change a thousand little details to keep the plot consistant, and my main character's personality had to change to fit the only plausable reasons she could be where she was and why she was there, and this has all happened during finals week. *Sigh*, pass the caffine.

Quote:
I think the idea "it's my story/fantasy, I don't have to" is rank idiocy. You have to stay consistant in your own world; there has to be a reason for every rhyme and a cause for every effect. Me being the perfectionist I am, I'd rather have those be realistic causes for the effects.
Right on! Note what is said above. Completely rewritten, and this time I had to reasearch six or seven different mythos and languages on which to base my six or seven race of the world I've made. Perfectionist lives here, no arguments. Fantasy is so widely accepted because it is so realistic. The fantasy books worth reading all have that little attention to every concievable detail, the tangiblity that every story requires to be, as Starbreeze said, not just another book. I think that's why during finals week I have research Nordic, Egyption (sp?), Celtic, and various other cultures until the wee hours of the morn just so I didn't drive my self to something desprate. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] I'm my own worst enemy.

Gender boundries, ST: consider them smashed. My story's main character is a no bull-crap sword fighter/archer with a wit and mind to match. Thus, she encounters big problems with the military commanders and the members of her battilion. Hehe, she's both my favorite and most difficult character to write, for I feel it neccessary to keep her away from being just another sheild-maiden, or seeming somewhat 'common' to what we have become used to in fantasy stories. She has a varied conscience, usually does things only for the reward (but will do certain things 'free of charge' and has an odd definition of reward, like food and lodging or new clothes [long story]), and can sometimes prover herself to be a little scared by the events unfolding around her. Satisfied, ST?

*This novel written by Laie, who has slunk over into the corner after her hour long ramble/outburst in search of a diet Pepsi or some other source of caffine*

[ June 01, 2002: Message edited by: Laiedheliel ]