View Single Post
Old 04-12-2005, 07:46 PM   #3
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Wandering through Middle-Earth (Sadly in Alberta and not ME)
Lathriel has just left Hobbiton.
Frodo's "Betrayal" of Gollum really turns the relationship between Gollum and Frodo for the worse. I think that Gollum had slowly begun to trust Frodo. Of his scyzophrenic personality his "good" side was beginning to surface.Of course it was coming along slowly. However, after the incident at the pool that little trust has vanished completely.
I think this incident is what makes Gollum take the hobbits to Shelob. The idea might have been in his mind already, but now he is determined to bring them to her.

I love the description of Ithilien at the beginning of the chapter.It has a mysterious but also peaceful feel to it and there is no hint of danger. That is untill we find out that Gollum could be killed.

Frodo should have been more honest with Gollum. However, Frodo is so frantic to get Gollum away from the pool that he probably didn't think of a more diplomatic way of getting Smeagol to come away with him. His focus was on Gollum's safety which made him blind to other things. He knew that if he lost Gollum the quest would also be lost as well.