View Single Post
Old 02-13-2013, 01:07 PM   #97
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Findegil
About the thread 'Tuor/Gondolin/Text': Aiwendil, your are a moderator of this forum. Since there is nothing in that thread that would merrit its hiding in privat forum, can you move to it this forum?
Good idea. I've just moved it to the public forum (here).

Quote:
FG-C-22: Aiwendil your last proposal seems okay to me. But I wonder why you used 'sit' in line 2? I thought that we had agreed on 'sing', because any other verb would mean to invent a fact in Middle-earth.
I had forgotten about that. You are right that using 'sit' amounts to inventing a fact. But 'sing' doesn't sound right to me. What about just using 'am'? I think that I had argued against this before, but when I look at it now, it doesn't seem too bad:

Quote:
{'Twas} [Here] in the Land of Willows where the grass is long and green
I {was} [am] fingering my harp-strings, for a wind {had} [has] crept unseen
And {was} [is] speaking in the tree-tops, while the voices of the reeds
{Were} [are] whispering reedy whispers as the sunset {touched} [lights] the meads{,}[;]
{Inland}[They echo] musics subtly magic that {those reeds} [wind and waves] {alone could} [can] weave -
It was in the Land of {Willows} [Nevrast] that once {Ylmir} [Ulmo] came at eve.
(By the way, sorry about the strange question marks that somehow ended up in this passage in my earlier post.)

Quote:
When Ulmo speaks to Tuor at Vinyamar he uses Melkor in all cases, therefore I think Tuor should use the name Melkor, while he spoke the message of Ulmo.
Good observation. I think you are right.

FG-D-04, -29: The thing is that I have a hard time seeing the 'fire-drake' vs. 'drake of fire' distinction as anything but contrived. But these are, after all, small changes, so if you really think them needed, I can live with them.

Quote:
FG-C-03: Why should the men not shudder at the pronaunciation of the King of Gondolin that their city is lost?
The thinking, I suppose, was that in the original, they shuddered specifically because they realized that this was foretold in the Prophecy of the North. But we may have been overzealous; certainly the fact that their city is lost is reason enough to shudder. So I think we can take your last suggestion.

Quote:
By the way, Aiwendil, do you remember what KO did mean?
You know, I'm not sure. I thought it was Lindil's notation that a change had been rejected ('knocked out', a boxing term in English), but in this case that's clearly not what was meant.
Aiwendil is offline   Reply With Quote