View Single Post
Old 07-15-2004, 08:24 AM   #269
Ealasaide
Shadow of Tyrn Gorthad

Ealasaide has just left Hobbiton.
Nerindel's Post - Dúlrain

Dúlrain joined Benia's gentle laughter as she belatedly returned his greeting, he too only realising that she had not returned one. He gazed lovingly into her deep amber eyes, losing himself in the warmth of her smile. Knowing that his heart was now hers forever and always, he no longer struggled against it. Letting the warmth of his love returned infuse him with such joy and happiness that it cast aside any fears or doubts that he may still have been carrying. They loved each other and no matter what trails they may face in their life's that one truth would always remain strong and unyielding. This he knew with undying certainty as that held each other’s hands their love intertwined like the very fingers they clasped so tenderly together.

The door to the room opened again causing the two lovers to turn, breaking the spell that had been holding them so raptly under each other’s loving gaze. Swinging wide the open door admitted another elf, this one slightly shorter than the other, but with the same free flowing dark hair and the same cheerful glint to her grey eyes. The elf dipped a short curtsy, and then crossed the room to deposit the large silver tray she was carrying.

"Mistress Celebnariel thought that you might like some breakfast," she smiled again turning to them. "She also advises that master Dúlrain try to eat something and if you excuse me I tend to agree, Lady Lespheria is a wonderful healer, quite gifted, but her tonics for loss of appetite are ... shall we say far from pleasant." Then as though to emphasis the point the young elf's delicate features screwed up in disgust and Dulrain rather thought that she was indeed remembering the foul some taste. He looked at Benia and then with a smile of suppressed laughter he nodded saying that he would most defiantly try. The young elf content with his reply simple nodded then departed to attain other chores of the morning.

Slowly letting go of his hand Benia crossed the room to examine the contents of the tray. She lifted the lid of a tall silver teapot and the aroma of a sweet smelling herbal tea wafted across the room. "Hmm, that smells wonderful," He grinned inhaling deeply of the strong refreshing smell.

"There is enough here to satisfy even a hobbits veritable appetite," Benia laughed lightly lifting another lid. But even as she tried to hide it he caught the briefest glance to the open window and he knew she though of her hobbit friend.

"You think of Gilly, is she not here? He gently enquired.

"Oh, yes. She is here and well by all accounts, " she assured him. "But I have not spoken with her since our arrival and fear that I have failed in my duty as friend, I could not bring myself to leave you until I knew you were will." she added slightly abashed as she returned to his side.

"Well, you can see that I am well and I would not wish to keep you from your other duties," he smiled raising her hands to his lips and kissing them gently.

"I would not want Mrs Banks to think that I was holding you here to myself, she just might have a few things to say about that, " he winked jovially.

"I daresay she would," Benia laughed. "But if you are not so eager to be rid of me I will stay awhile longer at least to share in this delicious feast the elves have kindly prepared for us."

"Only a fool would be eager to rid himself of such radiant beauty," he answered pleased that she would not be leaving so soon.

After washing the pair shared breakfast and pleasant conversation, there was no mention of Naiore, Kaldir or even the journey that brought them to their present location. Instead they shared what fond memories they had to share. Dúlrain described to Benia the beauty of the sun rising over the sleepy hills of Evendim with it’s golden rays touching the calm waters of lake Nenuial in the lands north of the Shire that when he was not wandering he called home. Benia smiled warmly at his description delicately closing her eye as if recalling some distant memory. When she again opened them she described to him the shifting sands of her desert home, and how the moonlight glinted a silvery blue hue against the majestic peaks of the grey mountains to the west of Harad’s great desert. They continued to share these small intimate details about themselves and their lives until the door to the room again opened admitting the elven lady Léspheria. Benia remained and he felt her hand gentle squeeze his assuringly as the elven healer bade him good morning, then carefully removed his dressing. They both gasped with surprise the wound was all but fully closed scar tissue and extensive bruising the only clues that any real damage had been done.

“B...But I don’t understand it still feels like I have been hit by a mountain?” Dúlrain muttered shaking his head in confusion.

“That is to be expected,” Léspheria grinned. “There was some external damage that shall need a little longer to heal. While I can manipulated the bodies own restorative powers nature still demands that we keep a little bit of pain to remind us that we are not indestructible, but I can give you something to help lessen natures toll if you require it.”

“No that will not be necessary, but thank you. It will do me no harm to be reminded of my limits,” he laughed wryly.

“Perhaps,” Léspheria smiled “But you should rest, allow the healing to transpire.” She stressed with a gentle firmness. This news distressed him but Léspheria assured him it would not be for long and with Benia’s concerned gaze he relented. The Lady then left to attend the others of her halls leaving them again alone. The day was drawing on and short while later Benia also excused herself, “I too must leave, she is right you should rest. I Promise I will return as soon as I have seen that Gilly is well and we have spoken a little.”

“I will hold you to that promise,” he smiled. “But I would ask one favour,”

“Anything!” she grinned.

“I would know what has become of the others of my company, Kaldir, Amandur, Rauthain and even master Longholes.” He asked staring out of the window, wondering if they had already continued on without him.

“I will see what I can find out,” She smiled drawing him back from his thoughts, still holding her hand he pulled her gently forwards and kissed her tenderly, a long lingering kiss before letting her go. Alone again with nothing to do but stare at the ceiling he carefully replayed the events of the past few weeks in his head until sleep again took him.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ealasaide's Post - Benia

As soon as Benia left Dúlrain’s side and entered the hallway, she noticed the absence of rangers about. The halls were remarkably quiet, with very few elves making their ways quietly down the wide hallways, speaking in hushed tones amongst themselves, although the hour was not yet late.

“There must be something happening...” she whispered to herself, but even as she did so, she raised one hand to her lips, remembering the tenderness of Dúlrain’s kisses. She was too happy to want to trouble herself with the graver matters at hand. For just a short while, anyway, she wanted to revel in her happiness at both Dúlrain’s recovery and their newly acknowledged love for one another. She did not want to think about Naiore or any of the other unfortunate circumstances that had surrounded their arrival in Imladris. She just wanted to be in love.

But the world would not wait. She had promised Dúlrain that she would find out what she could for him about what had happened with the others and what was happening now, whether they had gone on without him or remained there in Imladris. Seeing the near empty hallways, Benia wondered if the others had indeed already left. She decided to go in the direction of the Great Hall to see what she could discover. After that, she would seek out Gilly.

She had not gone far when she was intercepted by Celebnariel, the elven lady who had been left in charge of caring for the needs of Imladris’ guests. The elven lady broke away from a group of other elves and came to meet Benia as she rounded a corner.

“Greetings, Miss Nightshade,” Celebnariel said softly. “Is there something you need? I do apologize if I have been remiss in some way.”

Smiling, Benia shook her head. “Oh, no, Lady Elf, you have been most kind. Since Dúlrain is so much improved, I thought I might see what I could learn of the others of our party... Kaldir, Rauthain... Toby Longholes. I have not laid eyes on any of the lot of them since getting here and was wondering after their welfare.”

Celebnariel’s fair features grew serious. “I can assure you that they are fine, but I am afraid you must wait a little while longer before seeing them with your own eyes. Elladan and Elrohir have called a counsel that meets as we speak. Your friends are all in attendance there.”

“And my friend, Mrs. Banks, as well?” asked Benia, her amber eyes turning grave.

Celebnariel smiled gently. “No, the counsel is only for those who actively pursue the Ravenner, whose name I shall not speak in these halls. They are deciding what course of action they will take next. As for your hobbit friend, I believe she may be found in her room, engaged in something she calls...tatting?”

Benia laughed softly at the elven woman’s confusion. “Yes, that is something she does. It’s a form of lacemaking.”

“I see.” Celebnariel nodded. “Would you like me to take you to her?”

Gratefully, Benia accepted the elven woman’s kind offer. Momentarily, she found herself outside Gilly’s door. Benia knocked gently at the beautifully carved door and, receiving no answer, knocked again. Still receiving no reply, she pushed the door open only to find Gilly sound asleep in an easy chair before the fire, a newly started bit of tatting on her lap. Benia sat down in the chair opposite her friend.

“Gilly!” she called softly. “Wake up! I’ve so much to tell you.”

“Miss Benia!” Gilly exclaimed, blinking owlishly. “There you are at last! So is Dúlrain feeling better now?”

“So much better!” A wide smile broke across Benia’s face. “Lady Lèspheria has indeed worked wonders. The wound is completely closed and he...” she paused, reaching across to take hold of Gilly’s hand. “Gilly, he loves me.”

Gilly smiled and squeezed Benia’s hand in return. “That’s wonderful, Benia. You have no idea how happy it makes me to see you so happy. I take it you share the same feelings for him?”

“With all my heart.” Benia sat back in her chair, a dreamy smile playing around the corners of her lips. “I fell in love with him the moment he lifted my veil on that dusty little backstreet in Bree. Do you believe it possible merely to look upon someone once and know that you love him? I never believed it could happen to me. Or that someone of his... his stature could ever care for me. Any minute now I am afraid I will wake up and find myself back on that cold riverbank, dripping wet, with Dúlrain at death’s door and Kaldir barking orders at us...”

“Yes, that was an awful time, wasn’t it?” agreed Gilly. “But it really is over now. So much has changed since then, hasn't it? We are all warm and safe and dry and, I, for one, hope to be headed back to The Shire soon. Would you believe that Kaldir has offered to take me back himself?"

"Has he!" exclaimed Benia. "Well, that would only be right. If it weren't for him neither of us would be here in Imladris, anyway. I suppose, in an odd way, I cannot hold fault with him as I owe him my current happiness. But you, it would only be right for him to see you home again."

Gilly sighed. "Yes, I am anxious to see Carl and the boys as soon as possible. It's only been a few weeks since I left them, but it really does feel like a lifetime. What about you? Do you know what you will do next?”

Benia hesitated. “I-I don’t know. I suppose it depends on Dúlrain. Before all of this happened I had planned to join some of my mother’s people on a journey back to Harad, but I am afraid I have long missed them now. And, I confess, I am rather hoping to spend a bit of time with Dúlrain if I can, before his duty calls him away.”

“Yes, I guess they do still have the matter of that evil elf out there to deal with.”

“Yes,” rejoined Benia. “I hear that Kaldir and Rauthain and the rest of them are in counsel as we speak devising a plan.”

Gilly nodded, acknowledging that she had heard the same thing. The two of them talked a bit longer, discussing what they knew of their companions’ activities since arriving in Imladris and so on. Finally, Benia bid her friend a good night and returned to the Hall of Healing and Dúlrain. While she would not be able to tell him what had happened at the counsel, she would be able to assure Dúlrain that all of his companions were in good health and they had not left him behind.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amandur

Restless Amandur had risen early leaving both his charges to seemingly wander free. However Amandur was neither reckless or naïve, he had many friends among the elves of Rivendell who when need be would act as his eyes and ears. Neither Avanill nor Toby would even be aware that they were being watched until they tried to do something stupid like leave without him knowing. His frustrations at not yet capturing the treacherous Naiore Dannan weighed heavy on him, but as he paced the empty halls he knew that she was not his only concern, though ultimately the elf and her ties had become the main cause of his unrest. No matter how much he tried he could not ignore the fact that this elf he hunted in the name of the king; a woman that had brought so much pain and suffering to the free peoples of middle earth was cousin to the elven woman he loved. A kind and gentle spirit whose sole purpose in life was to see peace established and maintained throughout the lands. So opposite were they that it was almost inconceivable that they were of the same race let alone of the same blood, but there it was that one small tie that wormed a little fear and uncertainty into his mind.

From the beginning it had always crossed his mind that Naiore would not be one to come willingly to face the Kings judgement and even now with Avanill’s promise of a miraculous potion he was not entirely sure she would allow herself to be taken alive. He already felt Léspheria slowly slipping away from him as she closed her mind, hiding her emotions from the prying intrusiveness of her cousin. Distancing herself from the others, him more so of late so it seemed. That she saw their feelings for one another as a weakness pained him deeply, could she not see that without her his life had no meaning; no purpose, his time in Ammunias had shown him that. He had found no contentment in his position without her there to share it with him. Something had been missing and it had taken this journey to show him what it was and now he was to forget that and bury his feelings so Naiore could not use them against him. Already she was a wedge between them, weather she knew it or not. If he killed her he would loss Léspheria and if he did not he feared he would still loss her, at least the kind and emotional elven woman he fell in love with.

With a heavy sigh he looked up, only to realise that his restless wanderings had brought him to the halls of the healers. Looking around his gaze finally met a familiar face, not a healer but Celebnriel an attendant of the house and a confidant of the lady Léspheria, she gave him a almost knowing smile as she asked him if she could be of assistance.

“Good morning mistress Celebnriel,” he grinned back. “I would speak with Lady Léspheria if she is available.”

“Alas Master Amandur you call at such an early an hour, the lady and her guest still lay in silent slumber and should not be disturbed.” The elven attendant smiled sympathetically.

“Then I shall return later at a more respectable hour,” Amandur replied with a short nod of understanding.

“I shall inform the lady that you called, she will be most pleased to hear that you are well my Lord,” Celebnriel smiled playfully giving him the honouree title he refused to accept, then turned to resume her morning duties.

“My Lady I would ask one more question of you if you can spare me a moment,” he called after her. She stopped and slowly turning she bent her head in acquiescence to his request.

“I would hear of another guest of these halls, a ranger and friend, Master Dúlrain?” Amandur asked his brow furrowed in genuine concern for his comrade. “When last I saw him he was in a bad way, I would hear if his condition has improved.”

Casting a brief glimpse at the door she had just left the elven woman smiled warmly, “Then be at ease Master Ranger your friend is well and even now is awake. His fever broke in the night, he is still a little tended but he will live.”

“Ai, that is good news indeed,” he smiled his troubled brow relaxing slightly. “I would speak with him if the healers deem him well enough to do so?”

“Ah, alas my friend I must again be the one to refuse your request, as the young ranger is not alone. The healers have deemed that he not be troubled by to many guests at once, he still must rest.” She smiled regretfully, “But I shall inform him that you have called and to expect you later in the day.”

“Thank you Celebnriel,” he replied wistfully

“I am sorry I could be of no better help to you,” she smiled shaking her head.
“Not at all Mistress, That I know the lady Léspheria and Master Dulrain are well is service enough and I thank you.” He said returning her smile. Giving a short incline of her head in gratitude she turned and went back to her daily chores of attending the needs of Rivendell’s guests.

As he made his way to the feasting halls he pondered who the guests where that Celebnriel had mentioned but not named, he guessed that Léspheria’s guest had to be Vanwe, it only seemed logical that they would be together and that they would have had much to discuss. As to Dulrian’s guest that could be either Rauthain or Kaldir, he assumed that latter after the conversation they had shared the previous night.

He just reached the halls when he was approached by an elven messenger, “Master Amandur?” the elven lad asked catching his breath and slightly unsure if he was addressing the right man.

“I am he,” Amandur replied,

“My Lords Elohir and Elladan ask that you join them for breakfast.” The elf said having now caught his breath.

Nodding his assent Amandur followed the young elf through the long corridors to a fair sized study, within sat at an oval oak table were the Lords Elladan and Elohir. They were not alone to Elohir’s right sat Belegar the proud and stolid captain of Rivendell’s guard, then opposite him sat two tall and extremely lean fair headed elves, their garb and the delicately carved long bows that sat at their sides marked them as elves of the Galadrim. At the window looking out over the silent beauty of the valley and lost in thoughtfully recompense was Lord Celeborn.

“Come join us Amandur,” Elladan gestured indicating an empty seat next to Belegar, the table was laden with an assortment of fresh fruit, breads meats and refreshments. As he took his place Elohir introduced him to the others at the table.

“Captain Belegar you know,” the elven Lord said pausing to allowing the two men a moment to nod their greetings. “Across from you are the brothers Hallaer and Voronwer, along with our Lord Celeborn they are the last of the Galadrim left in Middle earth,” Elohir smiled with a slight look of regret and sadness crossing his grey eyes as he introduce each in turn.

“Now that introductions are out of the way we will begin!” Celeborn announced turning from the window and taking his place at the head of the table. “Belegar if you please,” he nodded to the elven captain.

“Yes my Lord, The orcs have retreated and no trace of them now remain from here to the forest of Rhudaur, we have burned the bodies and set guards at every entrance to the valley as a precaution, should the orcs think to be so bold again.” Belegar reported.

“And Naiore?” Celeborn asked as he filled his goblet, with the clear crystal waters of the mirrormere.

“We followed her trail through Rhudaur and nor-east toward Hithaeglir, but lost her at the edge of the wilds. It seems to us that defeated she fled with her orc ramble back to their dark holes in the mountains,” Voronwer reported, sneering at his own implication of the elven traitors association with their most foul-some enemies.

However Amandur remained unconvinced, he had discovered from Avanill that Naiore had sent Vanwe into Rivendell to retrieve Menecin and as far as he was aware she had not yet achieved this end, no she would not give up so easily, he thought shaking his head. “ She has not yet retrieved that, which she came for,” he spoke aloud seeing the perplexed stares of the others. “If I have learned anything of our quarry it is that she does not give up so easily, many years have the rangers hunted the Revennor of Mordor and many times she has given us the slip, but not before accomplishing her objective.”

“I assure you Master ranger that she shall not slip into this valley without us knowing it!” Captain Belegar announced defensively.

“Forgive me Captain I meant no offence, merely to point out the ladies determination. I have recently learned that Naiore’s goal was not to enter these halls but to have her daughter lure Lord Menecin from the safety of his protectors.” He added apologetically.

“So the orc were a diversion?” Hallaer cut in frowning with disdain at Naiore’s cunning.

“But she did not count on Vanwe strength to resist her compulsions and on meeting her father and seeing her mothers lies her daughter has forsaken her mothers request and Naiore has lost and will be forced to move on or risk being found!” Elladan announced with a satisfied grin. But Amandur again shook his head.

“No Grandson,” Celeborn said, turning to study Amandur’s troubled grey eyes” I do not believe she will move on until the last remnants of her elven past are completely erased. The elf we once knew is gone and only the shadow remains, twisted with hatred that she would stop at no ends to achieve her goal, this is what you believe is it not Captain Amandur?”

Amandur nodded that this was so, “But my Lord, if she mounts a second attack I do not know that we will be able to hold, we lost many a good elf in the first assault, that our numbers are to few too resist!” Captain Belegar frowned.

“No the orcs failed her once I do not think she will use them again,” Elohir put in his eyes narrowing in silent contemplation, “no if what Amandur says is true she will come herself.”

“This can not be allowed!” Celeborn announced fixing Amandur with his steady gaze, “Elven blood must not be allowed to be spilled in these hallowed grounds, it that was for this very reason that we agreed to allow King Elessar decide what was to be done with Naiore.” Amandur nodded understanding fully what was being asked of him.

“I will have the guards fall back a little to tighten the net that she may not slip through unnoticed,” Belegar said raising to his feet. He then looked uncomfortably between Amandur and his Elven Lords, as if unsure that he should speak of his other concern in front of the ranger.

“We are all friends here,” Elladan prompted.

“What of the bard?” Belegar whispered, “I do not have the elves to spare to search for him.”

Amandur started at this new revelation, “Menecin is missing, Naiore may already be here!” he exclaimed ready to jump from his seat and check that Lespheria and Vanwe where indeed still safe in their room as Celebnriel had informed him.

“At ease master ranger,” Celeborn said resting a reassuring hand on his shoulder, “As far as we know Naiore has not the bard, rather he has chosen to part our company and as yet I know not if this is for better or worse.” He sighed forlornly.

“We will use what skills we possess to locate the bard and try to convince him to return!” Hallaer and Voronwer offered together, as they rose from the table.

“Very well, but tread carefully, we know not to what end Menecin’s madness will drive him.” Celeborn warned.

“I will go with you!” Amandur said rising to his feet, the two elves looked at each other then smiled sympathetically understanding his need to act. “We thank you for your offer, but we will be quicker alone. We mean no offence but if we are force into a confrontation, what use will you be.” They said indicating his bound sword arm. Remembering his injury he nodded his understanding and sat back down as the elven brothers followed by the captain of the Guards left the room.

“You should have Léspheria look at that if you are to continue with your task,” Elladan said lifting a green apple from one of the bowls and rubbing it on his tunic. “You do intend to continue,” he asked stopping the apple inches from his mouth and turning to regard him.

“Off Course!” Amandur frowned defensively.

“But you still doubt yourself and your ability to lead,” Celeborn whispered.

“I have already lost one ranger and nearly a second,” he sighed heavily raising from his seat and turning towards the window, clasping his hands behind his back.

“Death has always been a part of the rangers way of life you know this, as did Maethor?” Elohir reminded him.

“It still does not make it any easier to bare, what if I cannot protect her?” he whispered betraying the truth of his fears. The three lords looked at each other then smiling Elladan and Elohir approached him.

“Do you forget the ambush of the pass my friend, when first we fought together?” Elladan grinned.

“No,” he answered not fully understanding.

“Then you will remember who it was that saved our hides.” Elohir said suppressing a wry grin.

Looking out over the valley Amandur remembered that they along with Lespheria’s brother, Lothaniel had been dispatch on an errand into Mirkwood when they had been ambushed by Goblins in the pass. They had managed to surround them and their prospects were looking grim, when Léspheria sensing her brothers danger had come to their aid, dispatching several orcs with her bow before they could make her position and in the confusion he and the elven lords had managed to take the offensive. He grinned despite himself as he remembered this.

“I understand what you are telling me my friends, but I can no longer control my feelings for her and fear that they cloud my judgement. For her safety I would have you command her to remain and pursue Naiore no more.” He sighed.

“But this is not your choice to make, Amandur. Léspheria also has her reasons for searching for Naiore, this you know!” Celeborn gently counselled him.

“Even if it means we loss her completely?” Amandur answered turning to face them.

“Yes, if it is to be so,” Celeborn whispered. Amandur could feel the sadness in the room as they each contemplated this possibility. The elves had done everything possible to prevent the encounter that was to come, but still it would find her it seemed the fates had deemed it so and no matter what they did it was inevitable that the two were meant to eventually meet.

“You should go to her and explain to her how you are feeling I am sure she will understand, if she does not already know, “ Elohir smiled encouragingly.

“We will call counsel tonight and decide what is to be done about Naiore, for now you need to get that arm mended and talk to Léspheria,” Elladan added.

Amandur and Léspheria

It was late afternoon by the time he found the courage to return to the halls of the healers, he stopped by Dulrain’s room hoping to find the ranger awake but it was not to be and the healers quickly ushered him away saying that the ranger needed his rest. He was directed to a small office that opened out to an enclosed garden. There he found Léspheria sitting on a bench reading from the small journal they had discovered at the home of Tallas. He started as he realised that silver tears trickled from her delicate almond shape eyes, so intent was she in what she was reading she sensed not his approach. Reaching into the pocket of his tunic with his good hand he pulled out a clean handkerchief and gently offered it to her. Looking up she smiled, taking the kerchief and wiping the tears from her eyes.

“Are you alright?” Amandur asked, sitting beside her.

“I will be,” she smiled. “I was just reading my mother’s journal,” she told him holding the book up for him to see. “I think I now understand, they where childhood friends, my mother and Naiore. They grew and learned together, forming a bond that was hard to break. Like any loyal friend she could not believe that Naiore was lost to the shadow, but she was wrong and Naiore betrayed her tricking her into giving secrets that she relied to our enemies in Dul Guldor. After that my mother realised that the only way to save her cousin was to set her spirit free, so she pursued Naiore back to Mordor were too late she discovered that the flaw was Naiore’s alone, a flaw created in her thirst for knowledge.”

“And you, what do you believe?” Amandur asked cautiously taking her free hand in his. She was surprised by his question and for a moment lost for words, “I do not believe that there is anything left to save if that is what you mean, though I wish there was for Vanwe's sake,” she frowned.

“Forgive me I had to ask, you do know that it may be…” he began, but raising a delicate finger to his lips she silenced him.

“I do know,” she nodded. “I just ask that it be the last resort, if all else fails.”

Looking deep into her eyes he nodded, even if he did not understand her reasons he trusted her. Realising that he was staring he let go of her hand and looked away embarrassed that he had been so bold, when she had already request that he bury his feelings.

“I am sorry I can not do it, I can no more hide how I feel than I can prevent the sun from rising,” he sighed.

“No, my love it is I who should be apologising,” she exclaimed taking his hands. “I was wrong together we are stronger, I see that now.” She smiled hopefully.

“My love!” Amandur echoed “Are you sure?” he asked knowing what she would have to give up to bind herself to him.

“I am, I always have been, only I have been to blind to see it, can you forgive me.” She replied sadly.

Overcome with joy he pulled her gently into his arms, not even feeling the pain shooting up his arm as he held her tight, their lips met and he kissed her passionately with the longing of a thousand ages. There they remained in each other’s embrace until Léspheria remembered his injury.

“You should let me fix this,” she smiled affectionately. He nodded allowing her to remove his dressing and as she worked they discuss what they had both discovered since arriving in Rivendell, though for the moment he did not tell Léspheria of Menecin’s disappearance not wishing to worry her further.

As the first stars began to twinkle in the evening sky a bell rang to summon them to counsel, “What ever course you decide I will follow, but please I beg you do not ask me to remain,” Léspheria whispered taking his now fully healed arm.

“I promise you I will not,” he whispered nodding his head, then together they made there way to the council chambers of the Lords of Rivendell.

The Counsel of Rivendell

Once all were assembled the Lords of Rivendell rose and silence settled on the room, “Welcome friends, we are gathered here this evening to discuss a matter of grave concern!” Elladan Announced.

“For too long has the lady of the swan been allowed to roam free in our lands, her crimes against the free peoples of middle earth left unpunished?” Elohir added taking in the steady gaze of all those gathered.

“But no longer, you are gathered here this evening all connected in one way or another to the ladies crimes, together you possess the knowledge and skill to put an end to the ladies reign of terror!” Elladan concluded gesturing for Amandur to speak.

“It is the decree of King Elessar that this criminal is brought to Minas Tirith to face the Justice of Gondor and their Allies,” Amandur informed the counsel pulling a worn parchment from his vest and passing it about for all to see.

“And just how do you propose we do that?” Kaldir asked dryly looking over the kings orders.

“That is what we are here to discuss!” Amandur answered patiently.

“Even if you do manage to capture her, how long do you think you can keep her?” Kaldir hmpf’d shaking is head. “Even in bonds she will find ways to manipulate and toy with our minds setting us against each other for her own twisted pleasure!” he hissed through grated teeth.

“That eventuality has been brought to our attention already and my young friend here thinks he has a solution!” Rauthain put in, gesturing for Avanill to rise and submit his idea.

“I have some skill in appocrathy and have concocted a potion that will subdue the mind of its victim without ardently affecting the victim’s motor functions!” Avanill grinned, confident in his work.

“And just how do you intend to administer this potion, you just can not walk up to the Revennor of Mordor and demand that she drink!” Kaldir demanded sceptically, his pale eyes narrowing in distrust.

“Darts!” Avanill replied his gaze coldly meeting Kaldir distrust. “It is the only way!”

“There is a surer way!” Kaldir retorted, his hand patting the hilt of his sword.

“No!” Lespheria interceded rising to her feet, drawing the looks of the others. “What I mean is that it should be our last resort and only if all else fails,” she explained.

“Bringing the Revennor to Minas Tirith will serve to strengthen Gondors alliances and aid in securing peace with the south lands,” She informed the gathering.

“So your interest is merely political!” Kaldir growled, Amandur made to rise in Léspheria’s defence but she patiently raised a hand to stopped him.

“No, Master Kaldir, that is but one reason for pursuing the lady, like you I too have every reason to pursue the lady and demand vengeance, but that is not the way! I will keep no secrets from you Naiore killed my mother and that they were cousins was of no consequence to her as it is not to me! She stated firmly.

“We need not become like her to beat her!” Léspheria said her voice softening to a gentle whisper. Kaldir stared for a moment then reluctantly nodded his understanding.

As Léspheria again took her seat Amandur rose, “Then it is set we will track our criminal dispatching any resistance she may set against us, Avanill will administer his drug then we will return to Gondor our prisoner in tow,” he refreshed. “Kaldir you and Rauthain shall take point, Lespheria and Avanill will be with me, when the lady is within sight we will regroup and pen her in that Avanill can take his shot!” He concluded.

The others nodded their agreement, while Kaldir lowered his head contemplating his own recently perceived weakness. “Is there a problem Kaldir?” Amandur asked seeing the ranger’s pensive look.

“Down by the river…” Kaldir began reluctantly, still struggling with sharing this weakness, but realising that if he was to be again accepted by his brethren he would have to gain their trust. “I caught a brief glimpse of Naiore, but this is not what vexes me,” he continued looking directly at Amandur, carefully avoiding the gaze of Rauthain and the others. “I had her in my sight but I froze unable to move as the memories of my previous encounter with the lady assaulted my mind, If it had not been for the courage of Mrs Banks I would not be here now!” he admitted grudgingly.

“My Cousin has that affect on all who have had the unhappy misfortune to have survived her encounter and some who have not!” Léspheria sadly admitted, drawing the gaze of the tortured ranger. “But I can help, I can teach you how to gather up these memories and lock them away behind a wall that even my cousin with her formidable skills can not penetrate!” she smiled sympathetically, “I have been teaching this skill to Vanwe and can teach it to you if you are willing to learn.”

Kaldir looked at her sceptically his eyes narrowing as he contemplated her offer. Reading his doubt Léspheria continued, “I too like my cousin can read the emotions of others, but unlike her I do not toy with or manipulate these emotion but as a healer I have learned how to use positive emotions to lock up those that others would use against us to hurt us or change us! I can teach you how to defend yourself from Naiore’s invasiveness! ”

Kaldir stared for a moment in silent disbelief, then nodded, “I thank you my Lady and will be grateful for any assistance you can offer in this matter.” he courteously replied.

“Then it is settled, we will leave tomorrow under the cover of darkness!” Amandur announced.

“But what of the others, Benia, Mrs Banks, Vanwe and Master Longholes,” Rauthain asked

“It will be too dangerous for them to continue on with us, they would be safer here if my lords will permit it?” Amandur stated, turning to Elladan and Elohir for their consent.

“Indeed the ladies and master Longholes are welcome to remain our guests until your return,” Elohir graciously assented.

“We believe it best if Lady Vanwe remains here with us, there is much she does not know and more that she yet must learn. It is now clear to us that if given the chance Naiore would harm both Lord Menecin and her daughter and any other of her house who would get in the way!” Elladan added his concerned gaze falling pointedly on Léspheria, who nodded, fully understanding his warning.

“Then it looks like you are decided, we wish you all…”Elohir began, but was cut short by a cry from the stairs.

“No Wait!” They all turned to see Vanwe breathlessly enter the room from the stairs, she started at the sight of both Kaldir and Avanill, the bounty hunter she thought was sent to return her to her desert prison and the insidious mercenary hired by her mother to aid in her villainous plans. However, she quickly composed herself and spoke.

“You must let me come with you, I would know what is to become of my Mother!” she announced flatly, her gaze turning to Léspheria for support.

“It would be safer for you to remain here where we can protect you and your father,” Elohir gently pressed.

“I thank you my Lords for you kindness and your protection, but she is my mother and no matter her crimes that will not change!” she replied turning to address the lords of Rivendell.

“I don’t Condone the things she is accused of doing nor do I believe she should go unpunished," she continued turning to face the rangers.

“But I must be permitted to come with you, if for no other reason than to see this nightmare to its end!” she ended again facing Léspheria her eyes pleading, hoping that she at least would understand.

Léspheria turned to her lords expectantly, the same pleading in her eyes, she did understand Vanwes need, she too harboured the same need if not for the same reason.

Reluctantly the Lords of Rivendell conceded stressing that Vanwe was now Léspheria’s responsibility, the elven healer nodded her understanding gesturing for Vanwe to take a seat beside her while they waited for the decision of the rangers after all the capture of Naiore was their task! But moved by her determination and strength of words the rangers eventually agreed to her inclusion.

“Then all is set,” Elohir began anew smiling in Vanwes direction, “We wish you success and pray that the Valar keep you safe and guide you in this arduous task,” His brother finish, marking the end of the counsel of Rivendell.

Last edited by piosenniel; 08-26-2004 at 01:40 AM.