View Single Post
Old 06-18-2006, 02:29 PM   #75
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

Envinyatar has just left Hobbiton.
● Jack Greymoss ●

‘Hold up, sir!’ the innkeeper called out. “Wait a moment! Where are you going?’

Jack froze in his tracks. An advisable thing to do, since in the confines of the Inn and the corridor, there was no hope of his usual mad dash of an escape. He took a deep breath and blew it out slowly, a shaky attempt at best to calm his nerves.

Now hold on, Jack-boy! he thought to himself. You’ve done nothing wrong. Just turn about and explain to the man what you’re doing.

‘I was just going to lie down for a bit, sir,’ Jack said, turning to face the innkeeper. ‘Tollers lent me the use of his room while he’s working. Said I might catch a few winks. Before we go fishing later.’ He put on as earnest a face as he could assemble for the moment. ‘He said the fishin’s good roundabout here. And we might be able to come back with enough for a tasty fry-up for us all for the evening.’

Jack stood stock-still waiting for the innkeeper’s judgment on this statement. It was the honest truth of the matter. But Jack was wary nonetheless – he’d been questioned enough before to know that the best words can’t overcome perception.