View Single Post
Old 01-15-2005, 03:39 AM   #1277
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

Envinyatar has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

The handfasting completed . . .

Derufin fished her ring from his pocket, taking Zimzi’s left hand in his. He slipped the narrow gold band on her slender finger, speaking softly to her, as he did so.

‘I have come over a way that with tears has been watered,
I have come, treading my path through the blood of the slaughtered,
Out from the gloomy past,
Till now I stand at last
Where the white gleam of your bright star is cast.’

In turn, Zimzi took the ring she’d had made for him from the ribbon she’d tied round her neck. She, too, spoke quietly, cradling his ringed hand against her cheek.

‘Blessed by a fair wind at our backs,
The warm sun at our face,
The sweet earth beneath our feet,
And the bright stars to guide us,
We journey on, together.’

Now they gladly placed their right arms as asked, their eyes keeping watch on one another’s face, as Sam bound their wrists lightly with the twine. At a nod from Sam, the band struck up a slow tune. And Derufin eased her toward him, his left hand at her waist as he cradled her right hand against his heart. The crowd opened up as the couple danced slowly out onto the cleared area and took a turn about it. They stopped then, when they’d gotten back to where Sam and the others stood. ‘Come join us, dear friends,’ Zimzi called out, laughing. ‘Come dance!’

‘And those of you who won’t come out,’ cried Derufin, grinning at a group of old Gaffers who’d secured themselves a table near the food and the kegs. ‘Then drink a mug or two to me and my missus!’ They silvered heads of the old fellows nodded at this request, and they raised their mugs high, calling out their approval, as Derufin planted a proper kiss on his lady.

-------------

Derufin's speech from a slight revision of the words to the song 'Lift Every Voice and Sing.'

Last edited by Envinyatar; 01-15-2005 at 03:43 AM.