View Single Post
Old 09-01-2017, 02:56 PM   #7
Findegil
King's Writer

Findegil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Okay, the idea behind my editing was the following: My addition of ‘in Mandos’ was meant as a statement that the hall Fui is not here ‘home’. But as your reaction makes clear this is not enough.
Nonetheless a few things I have to remark about your arguments:
- ‘reads their hearts‘ is by no means equivalent with passing judgement. The description of Vefanturs actions is clear. He does pass judgement. But Fui does only read in their hearts, which can as well have the intention to help them were specifically in the process of purging (since that seems to be the function of Mandos for Men and Elves: a kind of Purgatory).
- I didn’t say that the hall Fui would not fit the later Nienna. I said it would not fit Vaire! And that might have been true already in LT.
But however I agree that it is more save to shift both halls or at least both thrones to Namo:
Quote:
So fair were these abodes VT-EX-14 {and so great the brilliance of the trees of Valinor} that {Vefantur}[Namo] and VT-EX-14.2{Fui}[Vaire] his wife{ of tears} might not endure to stay there long, but fared away far to the north-ward of those regions, where beneath the roots of the most cold and northerly of the Mountains of Valinor, that rise here again almost to their height nigh Arvalin, they begged Aulë to delve them a hall. Wherefore, that all the {Gods}[Valar] might be housed to their liking, he did so, and they and all their shadowy folk aided him. Very vast were those caverns that they made stretching even down under the Shadowy Seas, and they are full of gloom and filled with echoes, and all that deep abode is known to {Gods}[Valar] and Elves as Mandos. There in a sable hall sat {Vefantur}[Namo], and he called that hall {with his own name }Vê. It was lit only with a single vessel placed in the centre, wherein there lay some gleaming drops of the pale dew of {Silpion}[silver light]: it was draped with dark vapours and its floors and columns were of jet. Thither in after days fared the Elves of all the clans who were by illhap slain with weapons or did die of grief for those that were slain - and only so might the Eldar die, and then it was only for a while.
There Mandos spake their doom, and there they waited in the darkness, dreaming of their past deeds, until such time as he appointed when they might VT-EX-14.3{again }be {born into their children}[re-housed], and go forth to laugh and sing again. VT-EX-14.5{To Vê Fui came not much, for she laboured rather at the distilling of salt humours whereof are tears, and black clouds she wove and floated up that they were caught in the winds and went about the world, and their lightless webs settled ever and anon upon those that dwelt therein. Now these tissues were despairs and hopeless mourning, sorrows and blind grief.
}VT-EX-14.7{The}And another hall {that she loved best}there was, one yet wider and more dark than Vê, and {she}he too named it{ with her own name}, calling it Fui. Therein before {her}his black chair burnt a brazier with a single flickering coal, and the roof was of bats' wings, and the pillars that upheld it and the walls about were made of basalt. Thither came the sons of Men to hear their doom, and thither are they brought by all the multitude of ills that {Melko}[Melkor]'s evil music set within the world. Slaughters and fires, hungers and mishaps, diseases and blows dealt in the dark, cruelty and bitter cold and anguish and their own folly bring them here; and {Fui}[Namo] reads their hearts.
Respectfully
Findegil
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote