View Single Post
Old 04-27-2003, 02:17 AM   #17
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

The Evenstar's post:

Aerin had never ventured from her home-country, Rohan, before. She had been exhausted after the long and strenuous journey from Rohan to the small village of Bree.

Aerin’s silver sword, Nauruin, clattered at her side as she walked through the cobbled streets of Bree. It was all very strange to her, since she had never seen another city or town before
She fingered the precious sword hanging from a belt at her side. The sides and handle were chipped. When Aerin’s mother had been attacked by Orcs three years ago, Aerin and her father had rushed to her rescue. In the end, Aerin lost her mother and her sword had been chipped by brutal Orkish blades.

She pushed her dark hair from her eyes and spotted a signpost that read: Blacksmith.

Aerin smiled to herself and walked towards the old, ramshackle building from where she could hear clattering and banging. She pushed open the door and it squeaked on its hinges. A fairly old man sat at a blacksmith fire, He was holding what looked like a shield on a pair of tongs and he was wielding it in the flames.

“Pardon me, sir,” said Aerin quietly. The man looked up and smiled.

“What can I do fer yer, Miss?” he asked. Aerin pulled the sword from its sheath and gave it to him.

“Hmmm, a fine sword this here is,” he said. “But ‘tis not of Breeish blacksmiths. Do yer live in Bree, then?”

Aerin shook her head. “Rohan,” she said.

“Rohan, eh?” said the man, adding more fuel to the fire. “Many a tale ‘ave I heard from Rohan, but never ‘ave I been there.” He held up the sword and inspected the damage once more. “I can do this fer yer, but ‘twill be a bit pricey.”

Aerin dug in her pockets. “I have money,” she said, holding out three copper coins. The blacksmith sighed. “I’m afraid it’s a lot more than that, Miss, he said. But then he exclaimed, “You’re one of the company setting out from the Prancin’ Pony!” Aerin nodded.

“My son Tareth is goin’ too. Me wife en I are not too pleased, though. But since you seem like a bold young ‘un, I’m goin’ to let yer off free of charge,” said the blacksmith.

Aerin couldn’t believe her good fortune. “Thank you kindly, sir. You don’t know how much this means to me,” said she.

The blacksmith smiled again. “Oh, I think I do, Miss. I think I do. Come back t’night and it’ll be ready fer yer.”

After bidding him goodbye, Aerin left the blacksmith’s cottage and disappeared into the Prancing Pony for a mug of warm tea .

[ April 27, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]