View Single Post
Old 05-01-2003, 12:44 AM   #35
Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Scent of Simbelmynė

Sophia the Thunder Mistress has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Sting

Calimir urged his horse up over the hill. Bree was within striking distance for the day, and soon he'd be taking a hot bath and sleeping in a soft bed. Not that he wanted one so overmuch, he told himself, but it would be nice before he continued onward.

Onward. The word made Calimir hesitate. Where was he going after Bree? He had no clear idea of this, certainly he was not going as far as Bree and then returning to Rivendell, that would be ridiculous. But even as Calimir laughed at the thought he wondered at himself. Why come to Bree in the first place? If the West was where he was putting off going, why not head east? Or south? He thought of Glorenwen with longing, why should he not go back? He'd been out of Rivendell long enough for anyone's farewell tour. He set his mouth, he'd delayed long enough. If he found nothing in Bree he'd return, be responsible.

As his horse crested the long hill Calimir was startled out of his thoughts, his sharp eyesight could pick out the narrowed eyes of a small group of men standing on the side of the hill. A few of them had weapons drawn. Slowing his horse to a halt Calimir dismounted and walked toward them slowly.

As he got closer he recognized a face he knew, or at least, he thought he knew. "Enien?" he asked hesitantly. Still a long way from the group he wondered if she'd been able to hear him. It seemed she had heard him, though, for she pushed her way to the front of the group, squinting at his face in the sharp light.

"Calimir!" she exclaimed, when she recognized him. "Why do you wander so far from Rivendell?" she asked, a smile spreading across her face.

"Enien, well met." he greeted her. The two stood a bit apart from the larger group, and Calimir spoke in a low voice. "I might ask why you travel with these..." he cast a wary eye toward the several drawn swords in the company, "but I will tell you, I travel to Bree tonight. Where do you go, my friend? You are packed for a journey..." his gaze travelled across her sturdy clothes and the packs on the one horse in the group. A long journey, he supposed. The longing grew in his heart once more... a long journey.

[ May 01, 2003: Message edited by: Sophia the Thunder Mistress ]
The seasons fall like silver swords, the years rush ever onward; and soon I sail, to leave this world, these lands where I have wander'd. O Elbereth! O Queen who dwells beyond the Western Seas, spare me yet a little time 'ere white ships come for me!