View Single Post
Old 10-12-2002, 04:49 PM   #226
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Marileangorifurnimaluim has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

**** Harad/Umbar - Gramil ****

'I know had I been there it would be me travelling to represent Dale to the High King.' Jarl looked at Gramil and held his gaze. 'When is this meeting, can you tell me?'

"Ah, the meeting." Gramil brightened, relieved. He had learned much of the king's plans in the days before their departure - being nearly family had many advantages. Almost as many as disadvantages. Clearly Jarl knew nothing of the intended attack on the Corsairs, else he would not have been so casual in broaching this subject. That in itself set Gramil's last concerns to rest, concerns already eased by Jarl's easy (and detailed) descriptions of his travels as a young tradesman. His experiences were much like Gramil's own, and could not be invented by any spy or mercenary.

"The meeting is on mettare, the last day of the Gondor year." Gramil rubbed his chin, taking Jarl's point right away. His mind leapt to their possible routes.

"My route to Nurn is shorter than the crossing of Poros - follows the river Harnen which is very easy to ford near the Shadow Mountains. It takes us directly into the heart of Nurn. But - " he said reading the growing disappointment in the line of Jarl's shoulders: he was fully aware this route would take them far from Minas Arnor. " - if we continue on the Harad Road to Poros, we can sample the poppy wine of Western Nurn and still be in time to Minas Arnor." Though just barely, thought Gramil.

He tossed a few twigs and kindling onto the fire, smiling and pleased as he watched Jarl's shoulders straighten, his chin lift. Yes. This was important to the man.

Ethar nodded at Garlin, pointing with his chin to the left, while he circled to the right. The light wind was their eyes, and, more importantly, away from their dinner. The rabbit sat up, sniffing. They had their bows already drawn so that motion would not disturb their prey. Both arrows were away.

"Good shot!" Ethar clapped Garlin on the back as they added this rabbit to the first.

[ October 13, 2002: Message edited by: Marileangorifurnimaluim ]