View Single Post
Old 10-14-2002, 04:35 PM   #240
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

******Harad/Umber******

Urken had miraculously managed to keep his own ship from beaching against the sandbanks. He was tenuously hanging on between the sand bar and the left bank of the river channel. The priest had no quarrel with the villagers, and saw no reason to waste their ammunition or strength. He also knew that sometimes going a step or two backward would actually get you a long way ahead. This appeared to be such a situation.

"Hoist the white flag," he yelled out to his sailors.

"But sir?," one asked.

"Do as I say and quickly. I know what I am doing, and tell the other ship to do the same."

A sailor scrambled up the mast and affixed the white banner just below the flag of Harad with its fabled oliphaunt.

Urken ordered that the small boat be put into the water over the side of the rail. He got inside, two daggers strapped under his waist, and had his men row cautiously forward.

Seeing the angry fishermen, he called out, "We have no grievance with you. We seek the Corsair ship that has gone before us."

Angry voices answered, "Why should that be? You are no friends of South Gondor. We do not believe you."

"Believe us not," cried Urken. "But do not doubt the seal of your king." Fuinur had also come along side in a small skiff. He held up the emblazoned proclamation for all the village folk to see. It was an invitation and guarantee of safe conduct.

The villages conferred together, shaking their heads in disbelief. It appeared to be genuine. They could not deny it.

"We will withdraw our boats, but will give you no aid in getting the ship free of the sand bar. We will also stand guard on what remains of our village. Should you place even one foot on the bank, your safe conduct will be of little worth."

Urken nodded his head, "So be it." Then he went to confer with the two kings.

[ October 15, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]