View Single Post
Old 12-09-2004, 09:00 PM   #305
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Shield

Bethberry peered over at Master Falco's tankard. It was none too full.

"It would seem you already have a leg up on the one item," she observed with every effort at a straight face.

"Aye, and not a short one either," replied Eodwine, with just as straight a face.

"Well, the long and the short of it is," interjected Saeryn. " that some throats need a clear rinse to remove any smokey particles that might have lodged therein."

Bethberry coughed at this. And then coughed again.

"May I be of service?" inquired Eodwine. He leaned over the table and with aplomb and a flourish produced a napkin with which he began to rub a sooty black mark off the Innkeeper's cheek.

"Well I say, there's a cheeky rub," observed Master Falco. "You intend to work for your dinner, do you?"

Whereupon the Innkeeper coughed harder, this time with a laugh to cover the event, as she took up the napkin herself.

"It's all a matter of timing," replied Master Eodwine with an arched frown at the halfling.

"Time I called Maercwen out here to tend to your dinner." replied the Innkeeper, attempting to restore some dignity to the occasion.

"Master Eodwine and Master Falco, and Mistress Saeryn, what say you to these comestibles and potables?

"Leek and chicken pie, in cream sauce."
"Rabbit ragout with raisins and neeps."
"Braised mushrooms with onions and wine."
"Rohan pudding with beef drippings."
"Black rye bread to be dipped in oil."

"Oh, I say yes," replied Folco, somewhat glassy eyed at the thought.

"Very well then. Frodides will prepare that for tomorrow's dinner."

An appreciable loss of enthusiasm seemed voiced on the air as three people attempted to hide their frustrated appetites by swalowing air.

"Tonight it shall be bean and spinach soup, with stuffed salmon and corn pudding, followed by apple cobbler. I believe that is what Frodides has prepared."

"And I suppose you will serve that with coffee," murmered a disgruntled Falco.

"Only if you insist. The Big Folk are free to have dark stout or lager," intoned the Innkeeper. "Or perhaps you would prefer carrot juice?"

Certain faces turned livid with this while others broke out into broad grins.