View Single Post
Old 06-10-2002, 07:14 PM   #44
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

*curtsies to all on this thread*

It was this thoughtful, insightful thread which drew me out of lurking at the Barrow-Downs into posting, even as I felt I had nothing to move the ideas on. The ways in which the discussion takes up ideas from previous posters and develops them or extends is a true testament to the quality of ideas at this site and to how posters listen to each other respectfully.

I have found something which might be of some bearing to the topic. I cannot claim responsibility for it, for I have not yet read the letters; I found this posted on another site and cannot vouch for its accuracy or completeness. I do not think this quotation lessens any of the positions here, but instead makes them more meaningful.

Quote:
'Michael Tolkien had been judged unfit for further military service as a result of 'severe shock to nervous system due to prolonged exposure to enemy action.' Letter #74 - 29 June 1944
*hums a solemn ode*
Bethberry