View Single Post
Old 11-04-2011, 07:40 PM   #4
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alatar View Post
My point is that Melkor had gifts like no other being, and yet instead of making something of it, he chose to covet others' works.
He once had those gifts. By the time the Elves awoke I'm pretty sure he lost them.

Quote:
Melkor raised up his own theme in the Music; why could he have made his own 'world' on Arda that was completely his own, then invite some of the Children in to live with him? Wouldn't that show up those Valinoreans?!?
First of all, it would still would not be truly his. The Children are their own. They are given free will (though I'd prefer not to start a debate on this topic!) and do not "belong" to any Ainu, much less to Morgoth who has done everything to prevent them from living happily.

Secondly, he is not like the Valar, trying to persuade the Children to come to a nice place where they would live happily ever after. He wants absolute power. He does not want to wait for someone to say "look at his ugly wasteland! I wanna live there!".

Quote:
On the other hand, I guess that he *did*, but was envious, as though Utumno was exactly as he wanted it, he still yearned for the light.
Again, it's true to some extent. But you can argue that the soil/metal/whatnot that it was made of belonged to Aule, not Morgoth. He only used the "ready products", just as he used the corrupted Free Peoples. He cannot create. We learn that only harmony, goodness, and hard work can give you anything that is "your very own". Morgoth wanted ALL, NOW, BETTER THAN OTHERS', and he took the "easy way out". Instead of making his creation by the same method as the Valar he decided to grab it. And failed. And then he was too deep into his* creation: evil.

*Though I think that even that is not really a creation. If there is anything good, there has to be something bad. The moment there is harmony, there is a chance for discord. As soon as someone says a word there is a possibility for both a truth and a lie. So really it depends on how you look at it. I think that "concepts" are always there, even before anyone uses them.

The Enc. of Arda also sys something I found interesting:

Quote:
Melkor was always jealous of the power of the Flame Imperishable, and desired it for himself, but it remained beyond his reach. For this reason, he was unable to create beings of his own, and so his armies were therefore filled with beings he had twisted or corrupted to his own ends.
http://www.glyphweb.com/arda/f/flameimperishable.html