View Single Post
Old 06-26-2007, 01:07 AM   #42
Dunwen
Wight

Dunwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sam felt decidedly out of place as he listened both to the dwarf’s unhappy mutterings and to Grimbeorn’s casual explanation of his scar. Of the two, he was more impressed with the Man. At least the Big Person was trying to find out exactly what had happened. And he looked like somebody who could face down a pack of Orcs.

‘What am I doing here,’ he wondered to himself, feeling helpless. ‘I’m a smith, not a hero.’ But he thought of Farmer Maple's horse. She had been a dainty, sweet-tempered creature. Sam had shoed her not three months ago. He'd volunteered for this; he'd better try to contribute something useful. Grimbeorn talked of finding a pattern in the attacks. Sam thought this idea quite sensible. With an effort, he spoke up on his own.

“I think Mr. Grimbeorn is right,” he said loudly, surprising himself at how calm he sounded. “And Miss Leanora,” he added hastily, not wanting to be rude. “Maybe we should take a take a look at where the attacks happened and see if we can learn anything. I mean, something big enough to kill a cow or a horse should leave some kind of a trail, shouldn’t it? Whatever this is, it attacked my dad’s farm twice a few days ago. Got a cow and a cat."

Last edited by Dunwen; 08-27-2007 at 01:53 AM.