View Single Post
Old 02-05-2003, 09:05 PM   #127
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Stumbling into the wagon, Sam snapped the reins and the pony took off at full speed. His previous uncertainties about driving gone, Sam sped down the road. Please let Cami be okay, he prayed silently. Please don't let that Ted do anything to her.

The road rushed below them as they galloped down the road. The pony hit a hole in the road and stumbled. Sam muttered a harsh word, and the girls stared at him. "Sorry," he said, a flush rising to his face. But he had nothing to fear, for the pony recovered herself and kept right on going. "Come on, girl," he whispered, "please hurry." He began to whisper a little litany under his breath, "hurry, hurry, please girl, hurry..." over and over again until they finally got to Bagshot Row.

As soon as they arrived he hopped out of the cart and helped the girls out. "Marigold, you go get Dad. Elanor, you get Mr. Bilbo. I'll...I'll go get Cami's dad."

The girls nodded and took off, and Sam hopped back in the cart. "Once more, girl, you've done so well," he said to the patient pony, and they took off to Cami's house.

It only took a minute to get there. Sam tripped out of the cart, picked himself up and hurried to the door, where he knocked ceaselessly until it was answered.

"No need to knock the door down, I'm coming!" Obo Goodchild, Cami's father and Sam's uncle, opened the door. "Sam! What's the matter? You look a wreck!"

Sam instinctively took a look at himself. It was true, he wasn't in the best of conditions: his hands were cut in a few places and his trousers ripped at one knee, and he was covered in dust. He dreaded to think what his mother would say if she could see him right now, but now wasn't the time for that. "Uncle Obo, it's Cami!" he cried, and spilled the whole story. He spoke so fast and so emotionally that his uncle had to ask him to repeat himself in several parts, but before too long the story came out so that it was understood.

"Marigold's telling my dad, and Elanor's telling Mr. Bilbo," Sam finished, breathing hard. "But we have to hurry! Ted's--"

"Sam. Get in the wagon," Obo said, calmly and firmly. Sam hopped into the driver's seat, then scooted over to allow his uncle to drive.

"We have to go pick everybody else up now. Elanor's at Bag End and Marigold's at my house," Sam said. Obo nodded, and they took off to get the others.

[ February 06, 2003: Message edited by: Orual ]