View Single Post
Old 02-21-2003, 12:40 PM   #159
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

When Cami first heard the news of Prim's letter to Bilbo, her immediate reponse was one of relief. At least Elanor and Sam were safe. They had not been captured by bandits or fallen over the side of a cliff. Prim would take good care of her friends and bring them safely home.

But as Cami reflected on her own predicament and Bowman's looming presence, the feeling of thankfulness gradually slipped away and was replaced by something much closer to frustration and sorrow.

That afternoon, she had thrown herself down in a small hollow under a bush in the meadow directly behind Bag-end and proceeded to sob her heart out. If I ever get hold of that Samwise Gamgee, I'll break him in two. Leaving his sister and I here to do all that work, while he goes off enjoying himself on the road. And, Elanor, she's no better!

Cami was feeling quite sorry for herself, when Bilbo happened to come strolling on the pathway just a few paces distant from where Cami had hidden herself. He distincly heard the noise of a child crying. Fearing a repeat of what had happened to Belle, he rushed over to help and was surprised to discover Cami lying on the ground, curled up in a small ball.

"Here, here, what's all these tears? Was Miss Lobelia so mean to you as that? I've talked to your father, and he's agreed to let you work at Bag-end to pay off your debt. I've assured him I'll not go easy on you, as there's too much to do and too little time to do it in."

Cami looked up at Bilbo. Rivulets of tears streaked down her dirty face, leaving trails in the grime. She still had not bothered to clean up from the morning or change the frock she was wearing. "Thank you. That's very kind. I'll work hard." Cami tried to gulp back her tears, then managed to blurt out, "But that's not why I'm crying."

"No? What is it then?" Bilbo had little patience with any adult who'd come blubbering to him in this manner, but, towards a child, he could be quite soft-hearted.

"Elanor and Sam...they've gone off to have an adventure and left me behind. You wait and see. Something exciting will happen to them. Maybe they'll fight dragons and see Elves, just like you did, Mister Bilbo, when you went with Gandalf and the dwarves. But I'm stuck here. The only thing I'll see is a mop and a dustpan or, at best, Frodo's birthday cake."

Bilbo smiled a little wistfully at the image Cami painted, then tried to reassure her. "Cami, I doubt the hobbits will be seeing any dragons or Elves. They're going to the markets of the different towns in the Shire to do buying for the party. I'm sure it's quite enjoyable, but I'd hardly call it an adventure."

"Anyways, I'm very glad you decided to stay. You made a promise to me, and you're going to keep it. I'm proud of you for that. There are things in life that can be quite boring or even very painful to do. But, once you give your word, you are duty bound to follow through. Never forget that Cami, never." Years later, sitting in a small burrow in Beleriand, with another hobbit by her side, she was to recall the exact words of this conversation.

Cami quickly opened her mouth to retort, "But Sam..."

Bilbo put a quick end to that. "Sam? That part is not your concern. You can't control what others do, but you have a responsibility for your own conduct. Now, do you want to help me to prepare for Frodo's party, or not?"

Cami looked at Bilbo quite solemnly and nodded her head yes. Right now, she would have done anything to prove to her teacher she was the kind of person you could trust.

"Alright, then, fine. I don't want to see any more tears or self pity. I know you're reluctant to work with Bowman, but I think we have to give the lad a chance."

"Now, as for dragons or Elves, I'm afraid the dragon part is quite beyond me. But perhaps the other.... " Bilbo's voice trailed off as he sat and thought.

"Cami, I will make you a promise. If you stay and honestly try to work through your differences with Bowman, I will share something with you that I've never shown anyone in the Shire before, except for my cousin Frodo."

"What is it?" Cami blurted out, full of excitement.

"I can't tell you now, but, immediately after the birthday party is over, that same evening, I'll get permission from your parents to take you on a little trek into the forest to see something. You can't tell anyone what you see, not your friends or even your kin. But I promise you it will be something good, something that the hobbits on the road will not encounter."

Cami's heart was pounding wildly as she rose, shaking hands with her teacher and then running quickly back towards Bag-end to begin cleaning the drawing room. "I'll get Marigold to help me," she yelled back. Bilbo watched her sprint away and smiled. Of all the children he had taught, and there had been many, he'd never had another who so loved ancient tales and poems.

He checked the date in his head one more time. There should be no problem. Every year, on his birthday or just one day later, the same thing always occurred. Frodo generally went with him, but this year he would keep his promise to the girl, and let Cami come along.

[ February 21, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]