View Single Post
Old 01-12-2003, 09:32 PM   #13
Lily Bracegirdle
Wight

Lily Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Saucepan Man, thanks for starting this thread. I'm also finding it very interesting. Kalessin made some extremely good points that I hadn't considered before. Now that I think about it, PJ's movies *have* captivated me more than anything else I've seen in recent memory (except perhaps for Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind). Considering them just as movies, they are exceptional. Considering them as adaptations, I think they are ... good.<P>Maybe I'm not the right person to talk as I'm not particularly *angry* about the movies. I did feel hurt about some of the changes -- something along the lines of "You were doing such a good job until now, how could you do *that* and betray/disappoint me so?!"<P>I can think of a few reasons why people might be angry. Please keep in mind I'm not judging anyone. These are only theories and I hope I don't offend anyone.<P>1) People who liked the books before the movies came out may feel that their private haven is being perverted to appeal to what *they* believe is the lowest common denominator (e.g., people who think such-and-such character is "2kewl" or "*sooo* hott!!!!") These fans don't want the books to be popular at the expense of their intellectual content and resent being grouped with "Ringies". In fanfiction terms, they are angry at PJ for setting Mary Sues loose in Rivendell to molest the elves. Especially as they see them as *their elves*.<P>2) Some fans may resent PJ for the fame and glory he is receiving that they think he doesn't deserve. After all, he just "adapted" someone else's work (never mind what a difficult task it was). To make matters worse, PJ and co. have *changed* some of the work and (ill-advisedly) opined that parts are better than the original on the commentary track of the DVD. This stirs indignation in fans who believe Tolkien's genius is not being respected.<P>3) Some fans who have a deep emotional attachment to certain characters (*cough* Faramir *cough*) may resent what they feel is slander against their beloved. Especially because they *know* better but most moviegoers won't believe them. (Count me in this category. *sigh*)<P>I think deep down all of us realize/fear that the movies will be seen as *truth* by the people who don't bother to read the book, who are (let's face it) probably most of the people who see the movies. For most people it then becomes a replacement for the book and drowns out the voice of the original. <P>Now I'm depressed. <P>-Lily