View Single Post
Old 08-11-2018, 02:34 AM   #4
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Now that I have (in a reverse of that old refrain) my books to hand, here's the quotes from The Book of Lost Tales: The Fall of Gondolin. Remember that this was the only long version of the Gondolin tale that Tolkien ever finished, so it's as close to 'canon' as we have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoG, after Maeglin's capture
But the rede that Meglin gave to Melko was that not all the host of the Orcs nor the Balrogs in their fierceness might by assault or siege hope ever to overthrow the walls and gates of Gondolin even if they availed to win unto the plain without. Therefore he counselled Melko to devise out of his sorceries a succour for his warriors in their endeavour. From the greatness of his wealth of metals and his powers of fire he bid him make beasts like snakes and dragons of irresistible might that should overcreep the Encircling Hills and lap that plain and its fair city in flame and death.

Then on a time Melko assembled all his most cunning smiths and sorcerers, and of iron and flame they wrought a host of monsters such as have only at that time been seen and shall not again be till the Great End. Some were all of iron so cunningly linked that they might flow like slow rivers of metal or coil themselves around and above all obstacles before them, and these were filled in their innermost depths with the grimmest of the Orcs with scimitars and spears; others of bronze and copper were given hearts and spirits of blazing fire, and they blasted all that stood before them with the terror of their snorting or trampled whatso escaped the ardour of their breath; yet others were creatures of pure flame that writhed like ropes of molten metal, and they brought to ruin whatever fabric they came nigh, and iron and stone melted before them and became as water...
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoG, during the assault
But now Gothmog lord of Balrogs, captain of the hosts of Melko, took counsel and gathered all his things of iron that could coil themselves around and above all obstacles before them. These he bade pile themselves before the northern gate; and behold, their great spires reached even to its threshold and thrust at the towers and bastions about it, and by reason of the exceeding heaviness of their bodies those gates fell, and great was the noise thereof: yet the most of the walls around them still stood firm. Then the engines and the catapults of the king poured darts and boulders and molten metals on those ruthless beasts, and their hollow bellies clanged beneath the buffeting, yet it availed not for they might not be broken, and the fires rolled off them.
... I mean, that's a direct statement that Turgon had catapults, even if you ignore the dragons.

As for Anarion, I can't find any statement other than that he was killed 'in Gorgorath', which isn't terribly helpful. (Though I did run into the fact that the Reunited Kingdom was prophesied to last for a hundred generations of Men... I may have more thoughts about that elsewhere.)

hS
Huinesoron is offline   Reply With Quote