View Single Post
Old 03-31-2002, 10:29 PM   #3
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

well said! it is a very exciting and exhilirating movie for me because of the emotions evoked by the various scenes. i also feel that the musical score tends to cue these emotions for me now as i view the movie. i think that if i had just gone to see the pretty faces and the special effects i would have grown tired of the movie. but i have not, and i have seen it 9 times now. most evocative for me is the opening, melancholy elven voice-over which stirs in me the response that 'yes, I do remember' and then the switch to the hobbit themed opening which fills me with great anticipation and happiness. there is the grand music and the appearance of boromir as he races like a hero to save merry and pippin that thrills me and yet brings me to tears because a great man will soon be dead. there is the scene in khazad dum where gandalf commands aragorn to lead the others to the bridge and to safety and aragorn is still torn whether he is able to assume command or not. there is the death scene between boromir and aragorn where boromir accepts him as his liege. there is the scene near the end where aragorn is strapping on the arm guards that were boromir's (symbols of the city of gondor and aragorn's kingship). it is such a wondrous journey through the depth and heights of character (and even more so in the books) that one cannot help but be gripped by strong emotion!