Thread: LotR2-TTT-Seq08
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2006, 03:09 AM   #10
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
back from my hols in sunny (???!!!***###) California.

re the cloaks - the three hunters were not hiding from the rohirrim. Indeed, this is EXACTLY as it was in the books. The rohirrim can be seen as going past the three hunters, ie not noticing them, in some way because of their cloaks, and only turned once Aragorn stated the line 'What news from the North' etc.

if you have a cloak - it won't really camoflauge you if your head an legs are peeking out too! hey, I've just realised - another bit of plot knicked by JK Rowling from tolkien - harry's cloak of invisibility!!!!

I still look in awe at how good the cloak camoflauge works so well as a boulder every time i see Frodo lift the cloak up.

I actually think that the 'eastern' baddies at the black gate costume's are too stylised. More for show then action - too 'formal' an attire to march to War on.

Ent draught scene - at least it's alluding to stuff from the books, as is the bombadil lines, so I don;t mind these bits.

when sam falls down the hill, this is only one of 2 places in the whole trilogy for me where the cgi looks really bad. the rock that sam is on looks like it's sitting infront of an old Doctor Who 70's Green Screen. (now the NEW doctor who - that's a different story!!!)

re the searchlight - areen't we told by tolkien (when sam wears the ring in mordor) that sauron's eye was continuosly searching around middle-earth for his Ring. So he's not omnipient and can't look in all places at the same time. we see this used as a plot devise in both book and movie later to help sam and frodo across the plains towards mount doom.

PS - regarding the gate - ill take another look - but the wood moving the gte open is acting as a LEVER - and therefore can move a large weight as required (i.e. why a wheel barrow works for example) - can't remember the exact physics but have a few books on it to back up my claims if required!!!!!
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote