View Single Post
Old 08-09-2006, 07:41 PM   #243
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
"Listen," Cela told Dick. "I told you what I thought, and after that it's up to you to run your inn as you see fit. The question at hand is not whether I will like him or appreciate him or go easy on him; it is whether I will tolerate him in my kitchen, and I have told you yes. If you would like me to change my mind, feel free to keep arguing the point."

“Oh! Certainly not! I won’t argue the point if you have nothing further to say. I know you well enough not to expect to gain an inch of ground.” Dick nodded knowingly and turned back to his food. In another couple minutes he was finished. He stood up and took the dishes to the sink. “Thank you, Cela,” Dick said, turning to her one last time. “I have hopes the he’ll do alright here, so long as you don’t scare him off.”

She didn’t answer as she took his dishes and rinsed them briskly. Dick shrugged his shoulders and decided to take it at that and not ask for any more. He straightened his vest, glanced once more at the little dots that the stew-broth had made on it, and went out into the common room to see how things went.

He spotted Jack at once, making his way between the tables with a laden tray on his hands. He seemed to be doing well and by the look on his face, he may have forgotten Cela.

“Hollo, Tollers!” Dick called, half raising his voice as the young server passed nearby. Tollers turned at once and hurried over to him. “You seem to have taken a liking to this Jack fellow – taken him fishing and what not. Will you keep your eye on him for me? No, no, not because I mistrust him,” Dick said quickly as a shocked look leaped up into Tollers’ face. “Keep him out of the kitchen for a little while. You take the dishes in and make sure he doesn’t pile that tray too high.”