View Single Post
Old 02-10-2006, 09:15 AM   #276
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Location: In my luxury Barrow, snuggled up in a pile of satin pillows, eating fresh fruit.
JennyHallu has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to JennyHallu Send a message via AIM to JennyHallu Send a message via MSN to JennyHallu Send a message via Yahoo to JennyHallu
My screenname has nothing Tolkienish at all about it.

Jenny is my RL name--

Jennifer Elaine, two Welsh queens whose stories end tragically (Strangely, both because of the love of the same man, which is why you will never find me cheering for Lancelot.). Mine will go better...Jennifer is from gwyn meaning fair/white and hwyfar meaning smooth, and Elaine is an old French form of Helen, which could have derived from either the Greek words meaning torch or moon...

In Sindarin, I am Pathuilos/Faenpathe Naurdi/Ithile (I can't remember the key command for the feminine -e ending) (there are infinite ways to translate it, but these are my favorite)

In Quenya, I am Lossepaste (or a host of other ways to say the first part, but Tolkien gave us only one way to say smooth...makes me sound like some sort of Italian dinner, in my opinion) Caline/Isilnis/Isilwen...

Ok that's taken a lot of time.

Hallu is an inside joke between some friends of mine; it stands for The Mass Hallucination. A title really...

EDIT: I could really render my middle name in Sindarin better...only when I went through the Quenya did it occur to me to translate 'torch' as 'a light' rather than fire. Frankly 'Narcalime' (Quenya) is even better than what I chose, 'a fiery light'...agh! must work! quit playing with words!