View Single Post
Old 06-06-2015, 06:03 PM   #41
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alatar View Post
Lotrelf, I think that that's the big issue: apathy. Here I am, obviously a Tolkien fan, and yet I pass when given an opportunity to view any of the Hobbit movies (for free on TV). Been there done that; don't want the T-shirt.
With TH, I agree that PJ even missed the dubious mark he'd set on LOTR for creating controversy.
The earlier films were a galvanizing force among both longtime Tolkien fans and those who'd never read the books, as evidenced not least by the spirited debates on this forum.

Now, the film fans say "meh", and the staunch PJ critics say "did you expect anything different?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by alatar View Post
Not a big comic book fan, but I will watch the 1st Avengers movie should it be on (and I have time to be near the TV). It's definitely more watchable as the director makes the superheroes approachable, and you find yourself caring a little about their plight.
I'm not one for reading "graphic novels" myself, but I've enjoyed the Marvel movies the last decade has brought. I'd rather watch Ian McKellen as this guy

any day.

The Marvel films as a rule don't take themselves very seriously, and even when they don't fire on all cylinders are, as you say, watchable.
Of course, I'm not at all concerned with how those films line up with their comic origins, in total opposition with my feelings about Tolkien books, and that's a big difference.