View Single Post
Old 02-16-2005, 07:18 PM   #184
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Location: The Island of Conclusions (You get there by jumping!)...
Aylwen Dreamsong has just left Hobbiton.
Over the pounding of the rain and occassional boom of thunder Gjeelea thought to clear the awkward silence. Before she could open her mouth, the servant of the house, Morashk, entered the room with a rain-soaked young man. Korak stood swiftly, seeming almost relieved at the interruption. Lady Hababa turned to see who had entered, and when she saw the stranger next to the servant her eyes widened.

"My lady, my lord," Morashk began, looking to Lady Hababa and Korak. Turning to Gjeelea he bowed his head. "Princess, this messenger bids you go with him to the palace."

"Why do you interrupt my visit so?" Gjeelea commanded of the messenger, giving him a stone-cold glare that might have chilled him more than the rain that soaked him - or more than the news he carried.

"My Princess," the man bowed deep from the waist. "Several events have unfolded that require you to be present with the King and the Prince Siamak. I humbly request that you come with me at once; it is the King's orders."

"I see," Gjeelea stood and went to Lady Hababa. Moving to kiss the old woman's cheek, the princess whispered in her ear. "If dark things have unfolded this day, I will right them, lady." She then moved to go to Korak, but stopped herself and instead went to the waiting messenger. Gjeelea looked to Korak and gave a nod. "I shall see you soon."

"Wait!" Korak controlled his voice so that it did not come out as a shout. "As an upstanding member of the court, I will come with you."

Gjeelea's heart fell; she had gotten through enough time with him to make her sick to her stomach. The princess did not want to spend more time with Korak than was completely necessary. Sighing, the princess nodded again. "If it pleases you," she paused, searching for the right way to address Korak. His station was beneath her - there was no need to call him 'Lord Korak'. He was not her husband yet, and no justification to name him so. It made her heart hurt to call him her love, for he was most certainly not. "Yes, if it pleases you, Korak."

After preparing as best they could for the terrible rain, the trio left the home of Lady Hababa and Lord Korak, trying their best to keep as dry as possible in the pounding of the rain. Robes, coats, and all other attempts to keep comfortable and dry failed miserably, and Gjeelea was left with the deafening sound of rain and her own dark thoughts. What did it mean that Lady Hababa could feel the evil of the day? Gjeelea still did not know what had transpired that prompted her father to call a messenger out for her. Had the rain and thunder not impeded all communication between the three travelers, the princess might have asked the messenger.

After what felt like days out in the rain, the group finally reached the palace. Dismissing the messenger Gjeelea lead her betrothed through the halls. As they neared the hall of the King's dias, Gjeelea could hear whispers echoing against the walls and through the air. When the two entered the great room, they were greeted by the sight of court people gathered around Siamak and the King.

"What say you?" Gjeelea heard as she stepped further into the room. Nobles moved from her as she walked closer to her father and brother. Korak followed behind her. When they had approached the king both knelt low before him. After this, Gjeelea stood first and looked to where her brother stood, his eyes glistening in a way the princess had not seen since he had been a little boy crying for his mother.

"Father," she addressed the king directly, her eyes meeting his. His eyes held some emotion she had never seen before in her father. Her gaze left Faroz for a moment and she caught the faces of the nobles and others gathered in the room - their faces holding the same anxiety that welled up in her father's eyes. "What has happened this day that causes such panic and chaos?"