View Single Post
Old 04-22-2002, 03:01 PM   #125
Gilthalion
Hobbitus Emeritus

Gilthalion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I regret that I had to delete the following post from the RPG. We have long since stopped taking new characters and we really can't take anymore rogue elf warrior maids.

I have been simply deleting other such posts (you'd be surprised at how many!) but this one was very well written and I worried that the author might not have kept a copy. Perhaps it will be useful in another RPG.

Pardon my ignorance, but is "draug" an elvish name for wolf? Wolf-poison seems un-Tolkienish to me somehow, but I might have missed something. If Celebruian is trudging through sludge, she's in the marshes near the stream that runs into the Long Lake. Is athelas bitter? Or is it minty fresh? (You could probably start an entire thread with that question!) I suspect that this post is something recycled from another story, but it is good reading, nonetheless.

Again, I found Manelwen's post very well written (or it would have simply been deleted without comment) but we aren't taking new characters or starting any new subplots at this time.

If the current players REALLY want this post reinstated, and want to take on a new subplot, I'll gladly reverse my decision...

That would mean that someone would have to be her rescuer...

Manelwen
Animated Skeleton
Member # 2599

posted April 21, 2002 12:22 AM
---------------------------------------------Her boots squelched loudly in the glutinous sludge as she trudged along the path that led deep into the heart of Mirkwood's forests. The draug she had been tracking was no where in sight. Mentally, she berated her self as she laboured across the path, desperatly seeking dryer grounds.
She stopped. There was no sound in the wood. Nothing at all, which meant it was near by. Taking her axes out of their holdings, she gripped the leather covered handles until the squeaked. Celebruial smelled the stomach-churning reak of the beast and turned just in time to see it lunge at her from between two trees. Bringing her axe handles up, she grunted as the thing met her and the force of their impact, caused the slight elf to be slammed against a tree, its rough bark biting her scalp as her head it the hard wood. The wolf had hold of one axe in its great maw and the other rose above her head and with all the might she could muster, she drove the blade into its skull. It let out a great cry of pain as it let go of her other axe and began to thrash about wildly, spraying blood over the girl. She cried out in pain as it burned her skin and desperatly she wiped at it to get it off of her. The wolf cried once more before it fell to the ground in a twitching heap of fur.

When the elf had cleansed her skin with what little water she could spare, she looked at the wolf, and with a small shake of the head slowly drew out her knife, preparing to skin the beast and bring back the pelt to lay on her family's grave. There came another sound, another growl. Dread crashed against her sound mind like the waves on the cliffs of her home. Another draug stood behind her, mere footsteps away. Slowly Celebruial turned in time to feel the beast's jaw close around her right arm. The silver haired rogue screamed in pain and brought up her left axe to hew the creature's head from its neck, but it's jaw didn't fully clamp down, it fell at her feet with four arrows in its side. Clutching her arm, she looked around "Who is it?" She called.

There was nothing but silence to answer her.

"Come out and tell me who you are!" She demanded, clutching an axe in her uninjured arm. Heat radiated from the wound and she fought off the fever of the poisoned fangs. Her daily exposure to wolf poison made her somewhat immune to it, but not enough to keep her safe from harm. The poison wouldn't kill her as fast as it would a normal elf or man. In her attempts to fight off unconsciousness, she heard the soft hoot of an owl and smiled "There are no owls in this forest." She called, but dropped to her knees for the dipping and swaying of the forest floors was beginning to wear away at her balance. Or was it the poison? If I don't get the cure soon, I'll die. she thought grimly, and slowly reached back into her quiver for the small sack of herbs she kept hoarded away. Her strength slowly was sapped from her and she knew it was only a matter of time before she would die. She grabbed the leaf of Athelas and stuck it under her tongue. The bitter taste of it made her grimace, but the fever was quickly ebbing, leaving her defenseless and weak. With a groan, she gave in and collapsed bonelessly to the ground.

--------------------