View Single Post
Old 08-01-2003, 08:53 AM   #17
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Maedhros wrote:
Quote:
Again, because it does not appears in version D, I would probably not recommend to use it, but if it were approved, would you go with only mention it or anything more elaborate?
I would say go with only mentioning it, since we don't have any idea what form the message took.

But on more careful consideration, I think you're right - it's exclusion from D might have been significant, or it might not have. But it's probably safest not to use it. Still, I'd like to hear others' opinions on this.

Quote:
I have dropped the { this Man who had escaped from the Land of Shadows, but yet far more curiously}, because the paragraph should talk about Húrin and not Tuor. Húrin in the Wanderings of Húrin, was let go by Morgoth and not escaped.
Looks good.

Quote:
The deletion of devised in favour of used is because of the general change that Morgoth didn’t make monsters especially for the attack on Gondolin.
This looks good as well.

Lindil wrote (regarding 'sons of Orcs'):
Quote:
It is a weird one, never to recur in the entirety of the Legendarium [afaik]. IF we leave it it will look like we missed it I think, though I conceed Aiwendil's point that theoretically it could be justified, it is still too awkward.
Hmm. I still don't think it's awkward, but if I'm in the minority, I'll concede the point. But 'sons of Men' is used often enough to simply mean 'Men'. Why not 'sons of Orcs' for 'Orcs'?
Aiwendil is offline   Reply With Quote