Old 11-15-2003, 11:28 AM   #37
Maédhros
The Kinslayer

Maédhros has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Maédhros
Sting

Quote:
Originally posted by Aiwnedil
I see now that the problem is with the fact that Q30's "revealing unto Morgoth the place of Gondolin and the ways whereby it might be found and assailed" is made the second reply and the first is merely its location. This appears to contradict the story that Maeglin had already told the Orcs more than just its location. (I had thought the alleged problem was between the LT and Q30 versions, but in fact it's between LT and "Wanderings").
Ok.
Quote:
Posted by Aiwendil
1. Leave the text as it is. The rationale here would be that Maeglin is simply being irrational. I don't think this is too hard to believe - when brought into the presence of Morgoth, the magnitude of his treachery might strike him with greater force, and he might also hold back in fear.
The more that I read the text, the more I'm convinced that the interaction between the Orcs and Maeglin can be explained by the fact that Maeglin is dealing with Orcs. I don't see the great contradiction in there. Maeglin told the Orcs the location and how could Gondolin be assaulted.
What if the Orcs were mad at Maeglin for telling them that, what if they thought that he was deceiving them and only his appeal to bring him to Morgoth was sufficient for him not being killed.
Then when Maeglin spoke with Morgoth, he of course would know the status of Maeglin.
I may be blind, but can someone point out what is so wrong as to merit a change in this part.