View Single Post
Old 08-21-2004, 06:15 PM   #17
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
Pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88
Maybe Radagast didn't know what Saruman was up to. When Radagast reported to Gandalf that Saruman wanted to see him, Radagast had no clue what Saruman was going to do. Gandalf even said if he noticed something wrong with Radagast he wouldn't have gone, or would have gone more cautiously. So, Radagast was clueless to what Saruman was up to. Spawn of Ungoliant brings up a nice point, how would Radagast be able to get to Fangorn in such a short time. The only possibility I see is use Haldir's elves transporter beam the used in the movie, TTT, to get to Helm's deep in a few hours. "Beam me up Haldir!" Also, who knows, maybe Radagast was helping Thranduil fight his wars.

Not much was said on Alatar and Pallando, only that they went into the East and stirred up cults. Who knows what they did beside that? They could have unintentionally helped fight against Sauron, by stirring up cults they could have dragged people away from joining his army. This is only speculation on my part.

I agree partually with this statement, you do give a good point in the fact that the ent's mini war -within a war happend quite suddenly (for ents), even though Merry and Pippin though they took forever. (those two are quiet impatient). But, there is one other thing i think made a great difference why Radagast didn't appear more often, especially during the ent's revenge war. Gandalf doesn't really flawnt his newly accuired information around. And since gandalf is the only one who talks to radagast in the book, (gandalf in the council of elrond notes this) it would be unlikely radagast was told anything else by gandalf. Plus, you would have to admit, radagast would be quiet busy doing his own part to ward off Sauron's forces, helping the elves of mirkwood as an example (an unreconized buzzy-body). Radagast, next to the Blue wizards is one of my favorite characters in this story, even though little is said at all about them. Tolkien tended to focus on the other two- Gandalf and Saruman, mainly because of their actions and how they have aqaintences and strong character relations with frodo and any of the ringbearers or their friends.

But, i do wish like many others that Radagast and the blue wizards were explained and discussed more often in the books.

P.S. : Here's a little good homour, a friend of mine the other day (he's what you would call a modern hippie, or more correctly Neopagan) noted that Radagast was sort of a "child of nature", or otherwise as he joked: "Mother Nature's Teacher's Pet". i thought it quiet amusing ( i am a "hippie" myself).

Blessed Be, THE Ka
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote