View Single Post
Old 08-21-2004, 06:26 PM   #19
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88
As Tolkien wrote, the only person to complete the "task of the istari" was Gandalf. The task being to aid the peoples of Middle-earth and unite them against Sauron. You can make a case for Radagast, since I mean he did help out Gandalf, but I think Radagast let his personal quest get in the way.

I've heard some people say the Istari had these "personal" quests, or maybe it had something to do with fate. Naturally, Radagast, being from Yavanna has a care for birds and nature. Some have debated maybe Yavanna had told Radagast to help nature, which would make it a "personal" quest. Gandalf really had no Valar, if anyone he most represented Manwe, which would make sense that he would succeed in the "Task." Saruman was from Aule so naturally he would get greedy for wealth and power. Maybe Radagast didn't have a "personal task" from Yavanna, maybe it's Tolkien dealing with "fate." You don't have control you follow the ones you come from, for example Radagast and Yavanna. Sauron, Saruman, and the Dwarves from Aule.

If you ask me I think Radagast let his personal quest of tending nature get in the way of the true quest of helping the peoples of middle-earth.
Animals are people too! anyway, one thing for sure, if it took about four wizards to help the people half of middle earth, it only took one to help the animal half. Hey! there you go! in a way, Radagast did complete his or one half of "the task" by helping the other residents of middle earth. The all-to-important animals!
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote