View Single Post
Old 11-03-2004, 07:01 PM   #25
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

Quote:
He thinks it's foolish to send the ring blindly into Mordor, in the hands of a hobbit
Yes, but he helps anyway. That's more of a plus than a minus.

And the next thing I was going to say... SPM beat me to it.
Quote:
But why should it be "morally" wrong for Boromir to wish to return to help defend his country and his people? Surely, as the first born son of the Ruling Steward, it was in fact his moral duty to do so....After all, we do not think badly of Faramir for choosing not to accompany Frodo and Sam on their journey into Mordor, but rather remaining to discharge his duty to his people as best he could.
If Boromir joined the Fellowship to try to sabotage it, or to steal the Ring, or because he didn't like Sam and wanted to stick around and tease him about his hairy feet, then he joined for the wrong reason.

But going home to lead your kingdom's battle against evil? I don't see how the word "wrong" can possibly be associated with that.
Quote:
In any event, my view is that Boromir had by now become so attached to Frodo, or more specifically that which Frodo was carrying, that he would not have left him even had the opportunity arisen. And assuming that to be the case, staying with the Fellowship was in fact morally the wrong course for him to take.
Good observation, SP.