Thread: Best Avatars
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2004, 07:54 AM   #533
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Ah, yes, Lush, a rose by any other name.... etc etc.

Originally posted by THE ka:

Quote:
Your Avatar was originally a sketch by Brian Froud, from his book Faeries... The website you got it from took his sketch of a springgan and made it into a "negative" photo... Sorry if i sound rude, i don't imply to. I just grew up with Brian Froud's works... Sad thing is i know all of his books by heart and can name them by year... Yes, its one of the strange services i provide here.
Thank you for posting the original source of the avatar from Gothic Gardening. Froud's work is lovely indeed and wonderful for making available all the lovely and unlovely creatures of old mythology. Why, The White Horse Inn in Rohan was visited by a spriggan only last summer, in the guise of one Madi Codex...

There is one drawing by Froud which I have toyed with from time to time in thought of using-- not this one, however. For my purposes the Froud original which you refer to from Fairies would not work and I would not use nor want it. It is the Gothic Gardening version which I wished to use.

Why? Because my 'character' Bethberry originated as the daughter of Tom Bombadil and Goldberry, sent to wander Middle earth in search of her lost mother--a bit of a twist on the Persephone myth which Tolkien loosely incorporates in his characterisation of Goldberry. My character was inspired in part by the lack of any reference to Goldberry at the book's conclusion, where Gandalf refers only to going back to see old Tom.

You see, the 'negative' photo which you refer to is very similar to the cover illustrations done by Sarah Gibb for Tales from the Perilous Realm. This book includes "The Adventures of Tom Bombadil." There is a fanciful one of Goldberry dancing above the rushes and cattails of the water where she first entranced Tom.

The "Bęth" part of my nick comes from the Sindarin for 'word', taken from Gandalf's spell before the Moria gate. As such, it is a nod to the web of words which my 'character' delights in, both in the RPGs and in the discussions.

Which all goes to show the inordinate amount of time I spend dallying with ideas and references as I ply subtly layer upon layer of nuance to my character here. Surely, surely you will say I have better things to do and you would not be wrong ...
Bęthberry is offline   Reply With Quote