View Single Post
Old 06-08-2004, 02:55 PM   #285
Arry
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arry has just left Hobbiton.
The old man heard the Innkeeper ask, "Who is this Master out of the north?"

And the storyteller continue on:

"Was, more like, for he is no more, but that gets ahead of my tale. He called himself Herugor, an Elvish sounding name, which I am told meant something akin to 'lord of horror'. That title was true enough. But I have not yet told you who he was. He was the Dark Lord's Lieutenant of Barad-dur, and he was known to us who were at the Battle of the Morannon in the War of the Ring. He was called the 'Mouth of Sauron'."

The name brought a hush, for even though that Dark Lord was no more, his evil Ring destroyed, his name was not spoken lightly.

Alwin stood listening to the unfolding story, his eyes troubled at the mention of The Mouth of Sauron. His old bones shivered within the folds of his thick robe despite the warmth of the room. He was about to ask a question of the storyteller, one Eodwine, when he felt a small hand slip into his and the weight of a little body press close against him.

Jack’s eyes were large, looking up at him for some assurance. He was just eleven, but he’d heard tales of the Dark Lord’s doings; and as he’d traveled with Alwin, he'd viewed some of the dreadful damage his twisted forces had wreaked. Even after all these years, the scars left by the shadow could still be seen and felt. ‘He’s not near, is he Grandfather?’ he whispered as Alwin bent down to him.

Putting his arm protectively about the boy, Alwin drew him toward a nearby chair. ‘Come, we’ll sit here, Jack,’ he said gently, pulling up another chair for the lad. ‘The Dark Lord is gone, and from what I’ve understood of the story so is his evil minion now. Light has pushed back the shadows once again.’ Alwin nodded toward the table where the seven adventurers sat, drawing Jack’s attention to the one of the Fair Folk who sat with them. ‘See . . . she has come through it and the light still shines in her eyes.’ Jack’s eyes were fixed on the Elf’s face. ‘We are safe for now, are we, Grandfather?’

‘For now we surely are. Safe in this Inn, in the heart of the Shire,’ Alwin answered, motioning for Buttercup to come near. ‘I think we would like to go to our room, if you would, little mistress. Can you show us the way?’

Last edited by Arry; 06-08-2004 at 04:56 PM.