View Single Post
Old 06-11-2004, 06:01 PM   #301
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
1420! Party of Seven

"We thought we were dead for certain," Gorby said. "Eighty mounted warriors, coming down three different hills at once, and there we were in the valley, back to back, with a half dozen horses in the middle of us."

Anson said, "It did not look pretty."

Gorby picked up his story again. "But Esghallugwen and Lumiel, the Elf maid warriors, they did fine work with bow and arrow at first, then with their swords."

"I wish I had been to see that," said Eodwine between sips of his ale.

"But Anson and me, we were of little use to the others, mere baggage, we felt, and one of our ponies went down, I cannot recall whose right now, and it looked as if we would be trampled."

"But Lira came to our rescue," Anson interrupted, "and we escaped to the fourth hill, and hid in a grove of trees up top. I was wondering where Falco was."

"I was staying low and our of harm's way among the horses while the big people fought. Maybe it seemed cowardly on the face of it, but I knew I was little use with just my dagger and cudgel. When the battle shifted to the hill Gorby, Anson, and Lira escaped to, all the others chased after the foe galloping that way, but I stayed behind. I had a thought that maybe where they came from was not so far away. So I went over the next hill, and sure as sure, there was a settlement, all stockaded about. I snuck over and discovered that all the Master's men, save four, were at the battle with my friends. It was not so hard to sneak inside and find my way to the prisoners and free them. Once they were freed, it was easy to overpower the four guards."

"Tell them how you turned the tide against Herugor, Falco," said Eodwine with a wink.

"Me? Turn the tide? All I did was hide and wait for the right moment, but that's getting ahead of our tale, don't you think? Besides, maybe I did my part, but if had not been quick thinking yourself, Master Eodwine, who knows how many of us the ugly Master might have killed besides Lira, may she rest in peace?"

"Oh, aye, we all had our part to play, and we each of us did our parts, and that is what makes the difference. Now Anson, why are you looking so glum suddenly?"

"I did not play much of a part, and I kept Gorby from joining you. Maybe if we had gone along, Lira would not have died." Anson's face was a picture of woe. He wiped his eyes.

"Do not overburden yourself so, Master Anson," Eodwine said. "I saw Lira fall to her death, and I doubt that there was anything you, or Gorby could do, short of calling one of the Great Eagles to drop out of the sky of a sudden, and they were far away. It was Lira's time. I wish I had known her."