View Single Post
Old 02-19-2013, 07:46 PM   #40
Recoveryanonymous
Newly Deceased

Recoveryanonymous has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigūr View Post
I notice however than in addition to having the license to produce film-related material WB also owns Turbine, Inc. which makes the specifically book-related The Lord of the Rings Online. Nonetheless, I would be curious as to whether there was any precedent or evidence for mods causing the kind of market "confusion" among consumers about which WB claim to be concerned. Where is the cease-and-desist against, say, The Third Age: Total War?
Frankly I despair of this 'Melkorism' among corporations, destroying things simply because they themselves did not create them and can't profit from them: "all gold (in Middle-earth) seems to have had a specially 'evil' trend"... (Morgoth's Ring)
It's probably not easy to speculate about all the variables that could effect the market. But considering the fact that Merp is a mod for an existing game, it isn't too much of a leap to assume that it wouldn't affect a large portion of people, at least not at first. Take the player-base for Skyrim, divide away the console users who can't play mods and all those who don't use mods anyways. The result can't be that much could it? If Merp were completed, I think word of mouth would make it well known, but that's years away at least. Who knows how many people would be willing to go out and buy a strong PC just to play Merp? The process of acquiring a mod tells me no one would confuse it for a game you'd have to purchase in a store. Your right about the "Melkorism" amongst these guys. It just becomes ever more transparent.
Recoveryanonymous is offline   Reply With Quote