View Single Post
Old 07-07-2010, 09:10 AM   #40
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I took the liberty to edit the rules collected by Rikae.

General Rules:

1. Turn your status on invisible so that people do not know when you are online when playing WW.
2. No PMing or other outside communication about an ongoing game unless your role specifically allows it (both living and dead players).
3. PMs should not be quoted during the game.
4. Name-calling, swearing, and abbreviated/implied swearing are not allowed
5. Discussion of "meta" topics such as RL reasons for absences should be kept to the admin thread.
6. Post-game discussion including the dead should not begin until after the final narration or until the mod officially allows it.
7. After signing up for a game, the player is expected to participate (vote and post) throughout the entire game or until death. If a player cannot participate for a Day, it should be stated and explained on the Admin thread. Modfire rules are up to the mod and the mod should specify these rules.
8. Editing a post for reasons other than grammar or x-posting is strictly prohibited. Once a post is submitted, the content within it cannot be changed.
9. Dead players should not be permitted to post on the admin thread or the game thread until the game is over.
10. Keep meta reasoning to the absolute minimum. (Still need a definition of "meta")
13. Players cannot choose their own alignment or conditions for victory; these remain as the mod defines them for the given role and the players have to abide.

Votes and Deadlines:

1. Unless otherwise specified by the mod, votes should be on a separate line, bolded or they don't count.
2. Votes are counted up to DL 'downs time. Votes posted after this time do not count.
3. Posting in game threads should stop at DL.
5. votes should be regarded as non-retractable unless otherwise specified.

Guidelines for Mods:

1. Would-be mods must have participated in at least 5 games of Barrowdowns werewolf before modding.
2. Mods who miss their turn twice or miss a reserved month once are removed from the list.
3. Members who have already moderated a game cannot mod again until at least 6 months after their last game.
4. Rules on traditional/experimental and Tolkien-related/non-Tolkien related.
5. When a someone signs up to mod they should also say when they are (or more importantly, aren't) able to do it.
6. Among the first posts in the admin thread one post should contain all of the following (editing it before the start of the game is possible)
- List of players
- List of roles including each's number. Each role should be defined as detailed as possible.
- Any special rules or events have to be explained in as much detail as possible.
- Any secret twists have to be announced.
- Deadline time
- Deadline for submission of picks (if differing from general deadline)
- Rules in case of a voting tie
- Modfire rules for no-shows or inappropriate behavior
7. The game thread should contain a list of players and dead players with time of death and role (unless the role is kept secret intentionally) at the end of every Night and Day.
8. Mods should abide by their own rules and make any changes known to the whole village.
9. Mods must not mention the identities of players to other players outside of what is covered in the rules.
10. The mod should reveal the role of a lynched player within 30 minutes of the deadline.
11. The mod has to pm the roles to all players, including ordos

Changes (I hope I'm not going overboard with this):

General Rules
"11. Can we introduce an automatic modfire rule for (repeated) inappropriate conduct (language, insulting etc.)?"
This should be left to the individual mod.

"12. Players that fail to show up for two games they've signed up for should be barred from playing for six months."
This one seems to be particularly controversial. We indeed should rather err on the side of too few rules, and this should be taken care of by the mods. No mod is forced to let everybody join who wants to join anyway.

Votes and Deadlines
"4. The wolf team should submit their chosen kill by one hour before deadline or there will be a no-kill. (?)"
This should be left to the mod to decide. It is also already covered in the Guidelines for Mods.

Guidelines for Mods
"4. Beginning when the currently planned games are done, games should be in some way Tolkien-related - or alternatively -
4. Experimental games should be Tolkien-related, traditional games don't have to.
-or-
4. Every mod has to let people know what type of game s/he plans (Tolkien-related or not / experimantal or not) and at least half of the scheduled games have to be non-experimental and half Tolkien-related."
This has to be thought over thoroughly first, I guess. It does seem like players prefer mostly traditional and Tolkien-related games, but mods do the opposite. Middle ground to be found.

Part of 6. "If there are lovers, the type should be specified (whether they die together, etc.), if there are secret roles, Mod should make the players aware that they exist, and to what side they are allied."
I understand why lovers caught some extra attention, but it's really just a special case of the general rule to explain one's roles in detail. Secret roles are already mentioned right after this.

Part of 7. "(- At the end of every Night and Day the mod shall announce which roles get to do what during the coming phase.)"
Not really necessary, I think.

Part of 8. "If there is a possibility of secret "twists", this should be mentioned in the admin thread before the game begins."
Already mentioned.

Regarding 10: 30 minutes is rather arbitrary, I admit, but nobody brought up criticism to this one in particular.

Regarding 11: This one could possibly be dropped. Opinions?

I also took out the role descriptions / glossary, since this should be an extra post in the sticky thread. Do you want to start writing it up, Nerwen?

Pretty much all of the remaining rules have been applied explicitly or implicitly before, so I think the list is helpful to newbies and makes a mod's job easier.

-crossed with Fea

Last edited by Macalaure; 07-07-2010 at 09:16 AM.
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote