View Single Post
Old 11-25-2003, 10:48 AM   #122
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The idea I am getting from this discussion is that part of the analysis of "psychological depth" of certain characters or in general under consideration is really Tolkien's ability to create a believable conflict and then to resolve that conflict believably and neatly within a larger framework, i.e., his story is crafted with several levels of internal logic that the individual characters fit into without seeming contrived.

Lord of Angmar's case in point with Aragorn made me think of it this way. The facts are presented slowly, and we see the conflict of Aragorn's character through his position in the story. This conflict is drawn in the exposition, an external conflict--his history and his goal. Tolkien shows, by observation of Aragorn's small actions and suggestion, the internalization of his attempts to realize this goal under circumstance that test him sorely and the struggle is shown in the delay in making the choice. The fact that some of his choices are made for him speaks to a certain serendipitous quality in Tolkien's writings that I do not equate with coincidence but some do. The fact that Frodo's departure is so well foreshadowed but still a surprise and an unlooked-for aid to Aragorn's decision is merely an external method of resolving Aragorn's inner conflict. His is pushed onto his path. I don't see that as making his understood internal conflict any less deep; indeed it takes on a sort of tragic note, as Aragorn is, in his spirit, still torn in two, and his path remains unclear.

I think this conflict/resolution idea may serve to draw implied psychological depth through the imparting of the knowledge of the conflict and the struggle to resolve it in the reader's mind. There is no way I could have felt the depth of internal conflict (well, despair, really) at the sight of the Morgul-Host if the scenes between Frodo and Faramir had not drawn the situation so keenly in my mind--the conflict, already known from Frodo and Sam's POV, now amplified through Faramir and the Rangers of the South. The conflict is tied together, the connection between Frodo and Faramir is drawn as that of two soldiers, both marching to what appears to be certain doom, but march they must.

I hope this post makes sense and illustrates my point adequately. Thanks again for your indulgence!

Cheers,
Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote