Thread: Gay subtext?
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2001, 07:36 PM   #26
obloquy
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

obloquy has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to obloquy
Sting

It would be different if I could see any legitimate basis for the question, but I just can't. There is nothing in the text to support it. It's like putting forth the opinion that Frodo was evil from the start and only played along so he could deliver the Ring to Sauron.

Eve comes off as someone merely looking for controversy. She appears to be one of those people who likes to stir things up and then, when she's successful, storms out declaring all whose views differ to be "bigots".

Every post of hers that I saw centered around sex -- something that is strikingly absent from Tolkien's work. The fact that there is no sex in the Lord of the Rings doesn't make Tolkien, or any of his characters, sexually repressed or homosexual. It means, quite simply and plainly, that he chose not to pollute his work with what he most likely viewed inappropriate for his story.

I understand that this topic is a valid one for discussion by those who are interested in it. Maril had already brought it up and the discussion was carried out quite civilly, if I remember correctly. She seems to recognize the difference between "bigotry" and differing moral values.

Eve reminds me of those children who say swear words solely so that when someone gasps they can say, "What? It's only a word!"

[ December 27, 2001: Message edited by: obloquy ]