Thread: Gay subtext?
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2001, 08:57 PM   #27
Evil Anya
Animated Skeleton

Evil Anya has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Evil Anya
Sting

hi, this is my first post here so hello. My opinion is that everyone should be allowed to interpret the story for themselves. If someone said, "Hobbit's are green and have little devil tails" i would agree that there is no room for discussion. However, i believe there is room for discussion about homosexual undertones in the book. Part of reading and enjoying a book is realizing it for yourself; none of us will have the same exact picture of Middle Earth in our imagination. None of us will ever know exactly what Tolkien intended as none of us ever lived inside his brain. I think there are valid arguments in either side of the coin.

I mean, would you say that it's impossible that hobbits, for lack of a better word, poop because nowhere in the book does it describe them going to the bathroom? People make their own connections from the information they are given, and even if we're all reading the same thing doesn't mean we're all going to see it the same way.

Straight, gay, bisexual, etc Tolkien fans should be able to discuss this without resorting to cutting each other down. Disagreeing with someone doesn’t have to be bashing or internalized hatred, though it sometimes can be. I hate the term “agree to disagree” because it’s brought up any time people disagree with each other, but sometimes that’s just what you have to do.