View Single Post
Old 03-13-2008, 11:39 AM   #136
William Cloud Hicklin
Loremaster of Annúminas

William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Palantir-Green

The only version of the '54 map I have is in my H-M 2nd/12th (ca. 1974), where the name is still Hithaiglin. This was probably a mistake on CT's part in his great haste: the mountains are not labeled at all on JRRT's original, and their Elvish name does not appear anywhere in the text. Its first appearance, already Hithaeglir, is in the Annals of Aman ca. 1951. My very limited resources don't indicate that the name was changed before the 1980 redrawing.

However, the original '54 maps have on occasion been silently corrected. In my 50th Anniversary copy on the large-scale RK map it is now Cirith Ungol, as opposed to Kirith Ungol still present in the '74. Also, relatively early on, the Shire map was altered (somewhat crudely) to get Brandy Hall on the correct side of the Buckland Road.