View Single Post
Old 07-18-2012, 11:29 PM   #21
sunrabbit
Newly Deceased

sunrabbit has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree What is the Doom of Men?

Okay, here's my question--what exactly does it mean for Men to die? I promise this is not completely off-topic--bear with me for a second. Why is it considered a gift by some, and a curse by others? Supposedly the Numenoreans fell because they wanted to escape the Doom of Men (mortal death) and tried to sail to Valinor. Aragorn says something to Arwen that confuses me, though. He suggests that she could repent of her choice to live a mortal life and sail to the Undying Lands, but that if she did, their life together would only be a memory. Then he says, "In sorrow we must go, but not in despair. Behold! we are not bound for ever to the circles of the world, and beyond them is more than memory." Thereby suggesting that, on the other hand, if she stays and dies a mortal death, they will have a future together in the next life. Or at least, that's what it seems like he is saying. So, I guess what I'm wondering is--is there something more REAL or PROGRESSIVE about dying a mortal death and moving on, as opposed to living forever without passing into a life beyond the grave? Aragorn's words to Arwen seem to suggest that there is value in dying a mortal death (thereby justifying its being called the Gift of Men). Is this only because it is the only way for Arwen to be with Aragorn after his death (because they would be separated if she sailed to the Uttermost West), or is the value in the death/progression itself? What exactly does happen to Men who die? They go to the halls of waiting, and then what? And which fate is preferable? I just asked a hella lot of questions, but I'd love to hear everyone's input.
sunrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote