View Single Post
Old 01-04-2012, 07:21 AM   #4
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
When I think of the description of Elrond in The Hobbit:
Quote:
He was as noble and as fair in face as an elf-lord, as strong as a warrior, as wise as a wizard, as venerable as a king of dwarves, and as kind as summer.
I imagine someone very different from the way Hugo Weaving looked and the role Jackson gave him. In the movie, he comes across as grouchy, not kind - the perpetual scowl does not endear him to me. Fortunately, since the difference between BookElrond and MovieElrond is so great, I can keep him separate in my mind's eye.

It's different with MovieGandalf - he really does look like the book description, but unfortunately, at times his role is changed, so that I remind myself that he was actually too great to cringe before the Witch King and would not use physical violence.

I re-read the books more often than I re-watch the movies, so I can hang on to Tolkien's own depiction of characters rather than having PJ's versions take over my imagination.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote