View Single Post
Old 10-05-2003, 09:24 PM   #27
Maédhros
The Kinslayer

Maédhros has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Maédhros
Sting

Let me see this in a separate light:
In our version, because of The Wanderings of Húrin, Morgoth knows the region of the location of Gondolin, and we can assume that his orcs had to had something of that knowledge too.
Maeglin first tells the Orcs that he is the son of Aredhel to try and make them not kill him. It could be of course possible that the orcs were not convinced of that, I mean, people are willing to do anything to not die.
So that Maeglin had to give them something new about Gondolin.
When the orcs heard that, they were upset and wanted to kill him, until Maeglin mentions that perhaps Morgoth should hear what he has to say about his words.

Options as I see it:
1. Keep it as it is, because that is what JRRT wrote and it is valid enough. After all, these are orcs were are talking about.

2. Remove the part that the Orcs were angry at Maeglin because and wanted to kill him. It seems to me that given the information given by Maeglin, they would at least bring him to Angband.

3. Follow Findegil suggestion and remove both the extra info given by Maeglin and the anger of the Orcs.

I personally would chose 2 because, at least the info given by Maeglin would serve to prove at least that his claim as the son of Aredhel has some value.
Then again, keeping the story as it is, is fine by me too.

lindil, Aiwendil, thoughts on this.