View Single Post
Old 06-19-2008, 02:18 AM   #1
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Werewolf XLVIII: When Virtual Becomes Reality

The Barrow-Wight stared at his computer screen in frustration. His inbox was overflowing with various complaints about inappropriate behaviour on the Barrow Downs and difficulties accessing the site. It seemed that as soon as one problem was fixed, another one popped up. And lately he hadn’t even been able to fix some of the biggest problems of all. People hacking into members’ accounts? These weren’t just technical difficulties. A new email appeared in the Barrow-Wight’s inbox; this time from Estelyn:

B-W-

I seem to be experiencing some serious problems of my own here. While I can access the Downs, I am not able to log into my account. I’ve talked to morm and he seems to be experiencing the same problems. What’s going on?

-Esty

First all these problems, and now the mods can’t even log into their accounts? What’s going on…that’s a good question. The Barrow-Wight had been in contact with many tech people over the past several days, yet no one could figure out exactly how to fix these problems. Someone was behind these technical difficulties, that was obvious…but who could these culprits be? They left absolutely no tracks behind the chaos they created. For awhile the Barrow-Wight had been somewhat able to manage the messes made, but now with the moderators’ accounts blocks and him unable to lock him, he was losing all control. It’d only be time before he himself would lose access the website he created. Perhaps it was time the Barrow Downs was shut down. No…no, I can’t do that. Think of all the people I would let down. There’s gotta be another solution.

And that’s when he thought of it. A brilliant idea. These culprits…the way they worked, they weren’t outsiders…they were BDers. These guys knew the forum like the back of their hands. And the way things were going now, they wouldn’t miss an important Barrow Downs meeting for the world. Not if it meant causing more trouble.

So the Barrow-Wight wrote the post. Hopefully enough would see it before any more problems errupted. His last act of desperation to save his beloved forum:

An Announcement to All Barrow-Downers-

I am pleased to announce the first ever official Barrow Downs gathering. This is an opportunity of a lifetime to finally meet all your fellow Barrow Downs members you have been friendly with. Everyone is welcome, the more the merrier. The gathering will take place in a remote location in the woods, so please be sure to bring along tents and other camping supplies.

Be sure to RSVP. I hope to see many of you there!

The Barrow-Wight

P.S. Apologies to everyone for the technical difficulties we have been experiencing. We are still sorting it out. Please be patient.

It was a stretch…but there were enough Barrow Down addicts around for at least a dozen to show up. And the Barrow-Wight was sure of it that the hackers would be among them.

PLEASE DO NOT POST ON THIS THREAD
Brinniel is offline   Reply With Quote