View Single Post
Old 10-14-2003, 05:10 AM   #96
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Rauthain

Whether Toby feigned ignorance in map reading hoping to extract an additional fee for leading them to Barrold was uncertain, but it was evident he did seem to know where the place was. And though he was of marginal help, they were able to get a fair idea of where to look. Of course, they did not let him realize this in their quizzing, but with the skill of many years practice kept him guessing.

Circling around, Rauthain picked up the gold piece from off the table and extending the shiny coin to Amandur between his long fingers declared, “I think we had better let Barrold come ask our assistance if a bounty hunter is after his family. It would be less trouble. This hobbit knows nothing.”

Watching his prospects apparently diminishing the hobbit grew animated. “You are a lying cheat!” he hissed. “I’ve told you what I know! We struck a bargain!”

“You have not told us all you know,” Rauthain replied calmly walking back to Toby. “Can you think of nothing else?”

“I’ve told you enough!” Toby countered while racking his brain for more details, and coming up short. “Some thing is up, I tell you!”

“How do you gather that?”

“Well you folks are here, ain’t ya? And Barrold is in a foul mood, sulking around ignoring his colleagues.”

“What does that mean exactly?”

“You know, like when you have a “spare” horse to be gotten rid of, if you don’t want to sell it yourself there are plenty who do it for you with only a small commission.”

“Are you saying that Barrold had a horse for you to sell?” Rauthain asked.

“Not no more, it’s gone. He just sent it off, at no profit to anyone.”

“That doesn’t sound like our Barrold, why would he do that?”

“It must be a woman at the bottom of it, why else would he lose his business sense and cut out his friends, though I can’t imagine no one taking up with him.” Toby said feeling no harm could come from his speculating. “He was cursing someone named Elenore or Lennore or something when I first spotted him.”

“Ah, so you are a disgruntled colleague looking to stir up trouble?”

Toby remained silent.

Rauthain pleased with the information but with sober aspect, handed the gold piece over to the hobbit, who snatched it up greedily. “Let it not be said that the king’s rangers are cheats, for even when this informer knows nothing Amandur has still paid handsomely. Think of it as compensation for your missed business opportunity.”

[ October 14, 2003: Message edited by: Hilde Bracegirdle ]