View Single Post
Old 07-25-2004, 01:38 PM   #257
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Narika and Ráma

By the time Narika had arrived in camp, most of the maenwaith had already gathered in family circles and were sharing their evening meal. The young woman halted just once, when one of the Elders emerged from a tent and hastily apprised her of some of the happenings and arrivals from earlier that afternoon. After thanking him for the news, she urged her horse forward, dismounted at the entrance to her mother’s tent, and rushed inside after briefly speaking with the guard to make certain that there had been no further mishaps.

Narika fell into her sister’s arms, embracing Ráma with a warmth born of both affection and urgency. Her sister sat near Ayar’s bedside; more ominously, her mother had fallen into a deep sleep from which she showed no signs of waking. Seeing the unspoken query in Narika’s eyes, Ráma responded bluntly, “I fear she is dying. Earlier this afternoon, she spoke with me. She seemed weak but alert. Yet for the past hour, neither Yalisha or I can rouse her.”

Narika glanced at her sister. Unlike Ráma, she had nursed her mother for several days and understood that the poison would ultimately take her life. Her twin had only arrived home and had not had time to accept the situation. “I’m sorry,” she responded softly. “From the first we knew there was little hope. I am only glad you came in time. At least you have spoken with her.”

“Yes, and she had much to say. About what should happen to the Eagles and….”

Narika interrupted. “I will hear your own news and mother’s words later. I think we may need to sit up tonight, to stay with mother. Only now you must go and rest. Eat something, and brush the dust of the road from your clothes.”

Too tired to argue, Ráma mutely nodded her head and turned to leave when Narika’s voice suddenly followed after her, “There is one thing though about these strangers: the men who came with you, and the Eagle… Can they be trusted?”

“Yes, Mithadan and Airefalas have already proven to be honorable men. Mithadan has an errand that concerns a maenwaith friend. And mother knows Sorona the Eagle. She spoke out on her behalf.”

“Sorona, you say?”

“Yes, that is the name she goes by.”

Narika’s face remained impassive but a hint of suspicion showed in her eyes. To her sister, she only said, “This is not a good time. I wish you had left them behind.”

“They are good people, sister. I am sure of it. I will plead their case before the Elders, if it comes to that.”

“You may need to. There are tongues wagging all over camp. And even I would not trust strangers so easily. It is enough that we have extended a hand to Aiwendil and Rôg.”

Ráma started to object but then stopped herself. This was not the time or place for such a discussion. “We will speak of it later then.” She turned and quickly left the tent.

Last edited by Child of the 7th Age; 08-03-2004 at 05:58 PM.