View Single Post
Old 03-08-2006, 10:20 AM   #103
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Nerindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nerindel Send a message via MSN to Nerindel Send a message via Yahoo to Nerindel
It had been an eventful day and as the others set about supper Ęšelhild took a moment to step back and reflect, the tension surrounding their new bard seemed to have lifted, at least for the time being she thought seeing Garwine’s surreptitious gaze pass idly over the dunlending as he ate. Their guest Marenil, was now comfortable and resting after his ordeal, the Healer having left strict instructions for him to get plenty of rest and to refrain from any strenuous work or travel. He had then left in her care the herbs and instructions required for a weak tea that would help the old man regain his former strength . “Three times a day for about a week should suffice I think, but I will check up on him before that just to be sure,” he had told her. Then he took Eodwine quietly aside, she assumed to inform him of their guests condition but several times she felt their gaze pass over her making her feel uncomfortably nervous.

After that she pretty much kept out of the way, busying herself, with the tasks she had planned to do earlier and it wasn’t until near supper time that she reluctantly returned to the hall. But the merriment that she found as she entered held her much at ease. So much so that as Searyn and Eodwine began to dance she picked up her pipes and joined in the frivolity. But the bards tune turned then suddenly as he sang a sorrowful ballad, a strange choice she had thought, but beautifully sung none the less and though she understood not all the words in the bards strange dialect, the sorrow and loss within the notes of the song moved her, reminding her again of her own loss and sorrow.

It was then that she became aware of a voice cutting into her thoughts. It was the new Stable master, he was smiling as he offered his company and politely introduced himself, she smiled in return though the memory of the young mans conversation with Gąrwine still wavered nervously in her thoughts. “My name is Ęšel,” she answered nervously.

“So how long have you been working here?” he asked. “And what is it like?” he seemed genuinely curious and Ęšel relaxed a little as she followed his gaze towards where the others where seated.

“Not long,” she answered . “Barely a week if truth be told, it was the innkeeper of the old White Horse who gave me employment, but Lord Eodwine is a kind and honourable man and chose to continue my employment and for that I am most grateful!”

“I don’t know what I would have done if he had not,” she sighed not fully aware that she had spoke her thought aloud.

“But what of your family, couldn’t you return to them?” Leof asked with a hint of hesitation in his voice.
Then seeing her pained look, he thought maybe he had been to bold and tried to apologise. “I’m sorry I did not mean..”

But she stopped him then, “No no it’s ok,” she assured him. “My mother died when I was little so I never really knew her, I was raised by my Grandparents and my father in Minas Tirith. My grandmother had a weak heart and died three years past this fall, that’s how I knew that Hagehorn would help master Merenil.” she paused then for a moment then continued, “My grandfather and my father both served in Gondor’s army and I was placed in the tutelage of the healers in their absence, but after the victory at Morannon they never returned, so now it is just me.” She smiled weakly, deliberately leaving out any mention of her uncle and the tragic events of the night that had forced her leave her home.

“But anyway,” she suddenly smiled brightly, trying to deflect from the morose misfortunes of her family and sensing the beginnings of an uncomfortable silence. “if you really what to know what it’s like here, you have merely to sit awhile and see for yourself.”

She grinned then inviting him to join her at Eodwine’s table. “I’m sure Master Falco will entreat us to a tale or two if pressed,” she said pointing out the stout halfling who was now eagerly helping himself to seconds.

“Then there are the twins Garreth and Harreth local smiths who are friends of our lords and sup oft in the inn or hall as it is now to be known. Garreth can be quite encourageable at times,” she chuckled to herself, recalling the formers garish manner, “but his brother more than makes up for the subtlety his twin lacks, she assured him.

Leof nodded with interest, as he followed her to the table. They sat then for awhile enjoying both meal and company, while Ęšel suitably introduced him to those he did not know, but all to soon the feast had ended and Eodwine called for help with the clearing up. To her surprise the young noble woman Linduial agreed to help Eodwine with the washing up, while Gurdyn and Searyn each took up brooms and began sweeping the hall floor, Ęšel with the help of Kara and Leof carefully cleared the table taking empty dishes and mugs through to Eodwine and Linduial for washing, and though she thought it improper that they should be doing the work she did not say so.

“I should check on the horses before I turn in for the night,” Leof was telling her as they left the kitchens. She nodded her understanding, offering to help if she could. He smiled and nodded, saying that he may need some help refilling any empty buckets they found. Then lighting a small lamp they crossed the yard to the stables.