View Single Post
Old 03-11-2002, 12:04 PM   #14
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Silmaril

ae na vedui, obloquy . . . mae govannen!

quote: <<So we may say; but it were better said that he was deprived for a term, fixed by promise, of his power to act, so that he might halt and consider himself, and have thus the only chance that mercy could contrive of repentance and amendment. For the healing of Arda indeed, but for his own healing also. Melkor had the right to exist, and the right to act and use his powers. . .

. . . Therefore not until the last, and not then except by the express command of Eru and by His power, was Melkor thrown utterly down and deprived for ever of all power to do or to undo.>>

the right to act and use his powers was taken from him according to the quote - but what i am wondering is if we are meant to consider him as forever fatally flawed and incapable of reconsidering himself and his course of action, & so outside the possibility of redemption. are we meant to always see him as a counterpoint to the theme of harmony in Eru's creation? & did Eru's harmony require the counterpoint to be completely revealed?

& btw: i am unfamiliar with 'Osanwekenta' - can you point me toward it! thank you!!